Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am packing the sheds and getting all my winter projects lined up and I keep forgetting I have a CASE XC116 in the corner with a crappy transaxle. Is there any sense of putting money into it to fix it? Runs good otherwise and has a deck on it. I got it on trade for a snow blower and he put a new battery, crank pulley, drag link, and carb on it, the battery went into the 195 as that one won't hold a charge after 8 years, go figure! :sidelaugh: I think someone said it was a Peerless 800? transaxle? First and second are MIA, 3rd is hard to find, 4th and 5th work fine as does a reverse gear. I know they are not worth much, but makes a good cheap YT for the wife to mow with.

·
Tractor Whisper
3,703 Posts
These trans-axle permanent greased with Bentonite grease
Part No. 788067C its thin grease but pours slow big like cold syrup.
Shifting on 800 was greased when trans axle assembled at plant gears shaft turning while operating don't re grease shiftier so slides collars yokes and upper bearing bushing don't grease.

Peerless transaxle seldom fail from normal use most shifting problems come from wrong or bad drive belt adjustment a slow turning input shaft cause hard shifting most noticed in lower gears belt guides important in adjustment. If input shaft stops turning when clutch pedal full travel down and detent ball spring under set screw lubricated.

For question about worth while repair peerless transaxle its got to be good experiencing repair on one because widely use YT and GT of coarse other models on GT.

Chapter 5 in this link
http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/htm ... mation.pdf

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think someone has shifted this one on the fly, trans bangs and jerks in 3rd, I had heard that it is easy to knock the keys out of it with the proper abuse :think: in 4th gear it pulls a 400# lawn roller off idle so I don't think anything is slipping. Never messed much with the "sealed" type transaxles, just the large frame Simplicity rear ends and the one in my 195. Wonder how hard it would be to convert to a hydro? :headscratcher: Part of the problem here is not being able to find a gear that works, it's like 1 and 2 are removed! Dam elfs taking my stuff apart when I am not home!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
 I figured I'd post here as there seems to be a good mix of collectors and users here. Some guys around say they are not worth anything being just a tiny yard tractor and some like them. The other complaint I heard is the 16hp being to much engine.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
No matter which Case forum you go on, the focus of discussion is and has always been on the hydraulic drive garden tractors. Conversation and information about the lawn tractors and yard tractors is practically non-existent. It's not that there is anything wrong with the other two lines of machines; it's just that the garden tractors have been around for so long that they are now within the financial reach of everyone. The LT's and the YT's were available for people who did not have large properties and they did an admirable job but on a smaller scale. The question posed by you can only be answered by you. If this little soldier has been doing a good job for you up to now, then why not take some time over the winter and figure out what is wrong with the transmission? Case and Ingersoll worked closely with Peerless as a supplier for gear type trans-axles and as far as I know, the trans-axles used were also used by other brands. The trick here is to pin down the axle's ID number and the parts manual may be of some help there. Once you have that info, a good place to ask questions is Yesterday's Tractor Forum.

http://www.ytmag.com/gardent/wwwboard1.html

There are quite a few regulars on that site who are very knowledgable about Peerless trans-axles and which models were used by which brands. It could be that finding another trans-axle will not be too hard if that one was used by Craftsman or Husqvarna, as an example. Another source to tap would be Joe Hemmi of Joe's Outdoor Power because he parts out every brand of tractor and has a huge wealth of knowledge when it comes to these things. By the sounds of things, everything else on this YT is working just fine and this is the only real annoyance. I'd say that the tractor is well worth repairing if you can source the needed parts for a reasonable amount of money. :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.