Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Nov. I bought my first Case. The seller told me it was a 1974 444. Since I've started to do some research, some nagging questions have come up. There is not a trace of Desert Sunset anywhere on the tractor, painted-over or otherwise. The muffler is of the cylinder variety that mounts under-hood with exhaust to the left. However, when I replaced the hydraulic oil cooler bracket, it did not fit correctly without modification. The tractor serial number is 14009010, which seems to correspond to a 1981 model year. The motor tag reads K321A? (missing digit illegible) spec 60324d. Do I have a 1981 tractor, or perhaps a 1981 tractor with an earlier motor? Any clarification would be appreciated.
Rob

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
If you had a 1974, then it would have a start/gen instead of a starter plus alternator. It would not have a removable cover on the dash tower and it would measure 13 inches between the dash tower and the seat pedestal instead of 15 inches. The fenders would have flat tops with short returns front and back instead of the longer tapered return on the front of the fenders like you have. There would be no bump-out on the left front side of the hood for the exhaust to escape from the under-hood muffler because the muffler would be a large oval car-like muffler mounted outside on the right side. The K321AS engine is a common designation. The serial number of your engine will reveal the date of manufacture. Go to our Service Manuals/Engine section and find the Kohler K owners manual for a chart.

I have pointed out many, many times in the past when discussing tractors for sale that far too many owners don't have a clue about what they are selling. So what you are telling us doesn't come as much of a surprise. Are you pissed because it isn't a Sunset tractor?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hydriv said:
Are you pissed because it isn't a Sunset tractor?
Not at all. I didn't buy it as a resto project. In fact, when the seller told me the model year, I was a bit dismayed that it was that old. I bought it because it ran well. and had a slew of attachments I needed. The last 7 months of living with this machine have shown me I didn't get exactly what I was bargaining for, but I can't say I got hurt in the deal. The guy I bought it from used to post to the the Yahoo group, and I can see some discrepancies between what he posted there and the info he gave me. From what I can tell, he was also given some good advice there that he never followed. I even see where he got a virtual butt-chewing from some old crank called Caseguytoo. :sidelaugh: So, the quest continues. Off to check numbers on the motor. Thanks for the other info.
Rob

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bhildret said:
That is the correct engine code for that serial number tractor ..
Yes, and since the tag is missing from the blower housing that should have the serial number for the motor, I'm going to run with the assumption that it is original to the tractor, as well. So, I guess I own a 1981 tractor. Wonder where the PO was getting his info from? :sidelaugh:

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hydriv said:
So am I. If he got a butt-chewing from that whacko Caseguytoo, then that happened on MTF, not the Yahoo forum. CGT never posted there.
Hmm, I posted that tidbit from memory, which sometimes fails me. It was definitely Yahoo, though. I'll look back and see which of the personalities did the chewing.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rob_P said:
Hydriv said:
So am I. If he got a butt-chewing from that whacko Caseguytoo, then that happened on MTF, not the Yahoo forum. CGT never posted there.
Hmm, I posted that tidbit from memory, which sometimes fails me. It was definitely Yahoo, though. I'll look back and see which of the personalities did the chewing.
Okay, memory fails me again. The chewing was done by one "heretictoo", and was regarding using Joe Hemmi's pictures in an ebay ad. The guy I bought the tractor from posted under "baronvonstueben", and for the record, he is a very nice guy. However, he did not do this tractor any justice under his ownership. The pix in his gallery show a nice-looking 444 with proper decals in place. What I bought from him is a debadged, rattle-can sprayed remnant of its former self, and it is hard to tell what model attachments I have, as everything has overspray on the tags. He was given some advice on his (my) electrical system which he did not heed. And it seems he was never able to adjust the PTO correctly. On the positive side, the motor had a brand-new carb atttached, and runs beautifully. The rear PTO, tiller and mower deck came from Rol Farrar, and function well. And I got a box of spare parts that included a complete front PTO (the PTO was improperly adjusted when I got it, works perfectly, now. Plus I have a spare!) Oh, and the tractor is 7 yrs. newer than I thought it was! As for the PO, as far as I know, he got himself a John Deere and disappeared from the Case scene.
Rob

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
No need to apologize over the memory issue because you need a score card to keep up with the who's -who in the Case community. Some of those guys have more identities than most double-agents do. I think that you should be happy that the good baron didn't listen to the rantings of that heretictoo dude because his silly antics made the tractor less appealing and therefore less valuable to any other prospective buyers. The Baron was one of those guys that should go to the big box store and buy a new Deere LT with a warranty and then sell off all his tools in his next garage sale. He was not "worthy" of Case ownership. In a few years, his current ride will be ruined in a similar manner and someone will get a bargain once again. History will repeat itself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.