Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[highlight=#ffffbf:1xzfq7ol][Taken from fragraf's Introduction thread][/highlight:1xzfq7ol]
I've made a few posts, but haven't introduced myself. My real life nickname is frag, and I've had that since my Army days. I'm from Michigan, waiting on a decent snow storm.

I'm not exactly sure what I have in terms of model year, but the tractor is a Case 444 short wheel base. I bought it last summer for in the Flint area, which I think is a decent comparable sale for the location. Last July, I spent another buck and a half and picked up a snowcaster, case weights and 4 link chains.

OK here it is..

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Re: newbie from Michigan

I'm not entirely sure as to what you have either. Once thing for certain, it has been repainted. It might be a 1976 Sunset tractor that has been updated with Power Red paint or it might be a late 1978. Post the serial number and perhaps we can narrow it down.

In the meantime, welcome to the group. :thumbsup: :trink:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts

If you are sitting on the tractor, there should be a rectangular metal ID tag riveted to the dash tower just at knee level. If it is gone.... the two rivet holes should still be there.

Do you have a start/gen unit sticking out the left side of the engine or do you have a true starter motor mounted tight to the engine block?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

SN is 9677449.

It has the generator/starter hanging on the side. I need to do something about the stack. I don't care for that too much and it doesn't do much for a loud one cylinder engine.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts

This thread taken from fragraf's Introduction thread, it ended here:
Hydriv said:
fragraf wrote:
fragraf said:
SN is 9677449.

It has the generator/starter hanging on the side. I need to do something about the stack. I don't care for that too much and it doesn't do much for a loud one cylinder engine.
I love this thread. :sidelaugh:

Here is a PRIME example as to why we cannot trust the very CHART that we thought we could trust all these many years.

According to the CHART, the very first 444 for 1973 bore the serial # 9676760 but the very first 444 for 1974 began with serial # 9691772. Fragraf's 444 bears the serial #9677449. That would make fragraf's 444 the 689th 444 built since the start of 1973.......according to the CHART. To me, this is certainly not an unreasonable number (production-wise) because the 444's were a very popular model back then. And if Bob is right about the chart being started on January first of each calendar year, then we have no way of knowing how many 444's were built in the months prior to the end of the previous calendar year but after the production line had been shut down for the model year changeover.

Then, as Bob points out.... we have the Parts Manuals that illustrate when Case made enough significant changes to the design of the tractor to warrant a new manual. That could happen at any point in a calendar year, thus making it all that more difficult to pin down the true model year of a tractor. I have seen this happen several times in the past and I have remarked on it several times in this forum. Another example can be found on Page 10 of this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3837&start=90

It had always been my belief that the solid hood stripe was used ONLY in 1977, hence my comment to TSS8690 about the true year of his tractor. Once he posted the info off his PIN plate, it sent me on a search in the Parts Manuals and that search indicates that the solid stripe was used in 1978 as well. I could cite about four more incidences where my convictions have been shattered but it should be enough to just say that things are not as cut and dried as many of us would like to think.

Are you confused at this point? Well, don't feel bad because what went on at the Winneconne plant since 1963 is still steeped in mystery. Discussions such as this one will continue as a direct result of the lack of hard evidence that is now likely lost forever, thanks to those who were in control of the company since Case sold it. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.