Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I started making a rigid sway bar for the J26 3-point hitch I put on my Ingersoll. I cannot take credit for the idea; I got the idea from Grummy. I modified what Grummy had to make mine adjustable in length instead of being a fixed length. I need mine adjustable because the draw bar is a CAT 0 with a 20-inch spread between the pins, my scraper blade is a CAT 1 with the pins changed to a 5/8 and facing in with a spread of 22 inches. Here are a few photos of what I have so far.

The tubular steel I used is 1" for the outside tube and 3/4" for the inside tube. I still have to cut a longer bar for the back of the hitch were the lift arm ends mount to the 3-point hitch. I also have to drill the tubular steel to be able to pin it at the length I need whether it be for the draw bar or scraper blade. I hope to finish this up tomorrow and get everything primed.

It is nice having a wall in the yard and being able to park the tractor on the wall to work on it. Saves the back and knees and is just as nice as having a lift!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the only way I could bend the heavy flat stock and be rather square with the bend. I cut into the flat stock with a grinder, bent it so the cut opened up, then I weld and grind it and get a pretty good bend. I also had to double the thickness of the flat stock to make up for the lift arm ends that are wider then the lift arms. This way the brackets would sit flat against the lift arms. I beveled the piece being added on all 4 sides. Clamped it, welded and ground flush.

My 79-dollar harbor freight 90-amp 110-volt flux core welder. I use this a lot, not a bad welder for the homeowner and small projects. Beats dragging the big welder up the stairs and running a 220 line to the area I am working in. Only downfall to this welder is a little more heat would be nice and the duty cycle, weld 3 minutes, shut welder off and wait 7 minutes before welding again.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
InTroubleAlltheTime said:
Nice work Mark, you are a talented fabricator! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich
Thanks for the compliment Rich, but I am a hacker compared to some of the work others have done that I have seen on this and other forums. I put the scraper blade on yesterday and was pushing the blade side to side and the only sway I had was in the tractor's axle. The blade was very tight with very, very little sway to it. I have a couple of more hours work to do before it is finished a ready for paint. Before it was a real pain to back up the lawn sweeper or trailer with the draw bar and 3 point hitch swaying back and forth even with the chains to limit the sway. Now backing up is not a problem
Mark

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sylvester Calzone said:
great job!
like that gusseted rear axle :thumbsup:
also, do you use the needle valve to close of the 3ph? mine had one but I took it off.
I am not sure what you mean with the Gusseted rear axle??? I am going to take that valve off the 3-point hitch. I do not use it and do not have any need for it with the selector valve. I believe the whole purpose of that valve was to stop the 3 point from actuating when using the front hydraulics. I keep forgetting to pick up a 1/4" x 4" piece of black pipe to replace the valve. I want to get it off the hitch before the snow starts this year so I do not back up into some ice and damage something and have to fix it in the cold slush. Snow flurries predicted this weekend. Time to get the bearings replaced on the snowcaster and get that mounted and the chains on. I already miss summer!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.