Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am beginning to do a refurb on my j44 deck. I have everything apart and am surveying what parts need replacement, and what parts i am missing. so far i will need 1 pulley (snapped a piece off with the puller :oops: ), 1 drive pulley (fubar), bearings, and a idler pulley. I have all those covered. However i have a question about the spindle spacer. I was at casegardentractorparts.com and noticed that he has a min spec listed (1.823"). Mine are all ok but just barely. I have access to plenty of round stock and equipment (lathe, bridgeport, etc) and would like to make some new ones. Does anyone know what the origional or max spec is?

·
Administrator
3,310 Posts
Fully assembled spindles should turn easily and have no side loading to the ball bearings. I usually install the pulley(s), tighten them and turn the pulleys. If OK, remove the pulleys install in deck, install pulleys and tighten nuts. Use anti-seize on the pulleys and nuts, the next one to dissassemble this deck will thank you!!
Mad Mackie in CT

·
Ingersoll Dealer
1,513 Posts
Ken,

I'll be happy to measure a new one and post tomorrow, if my memory is correct they are approx. 1.831. You should torque the locknut to 100 lb ft and then seat the bearings with a dead blow top and bottom. If the spindle turns freely there should be no problem. If it is stiff and turns hard now is the time to correct the issue or else the bearing life will be compomised.

Bob ( www.casegardentractorparts.com )

·
Ingersoll Dealer
1,513 Posts
Ken,

Sorry for the posting delay, I did measure 6 new spacers that I have in stock tonight and they ranged from 1.822 - 1.827. I was a little disappointed to see that much variation! I should mention that I did not take time to check my mic with a standard and had brought it in from the cold so the measurements could be a couple of thou off.

As a rule of thumb, I 've always used Ingersoll's 1.823 as a min standard and I'm sure that there are some variations due to manufacturing tolerances in the housings as well. At any rate, the number is just a guideline and the true test is still a free turning spindle after assembly. If it's tight, correct it!

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.