Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
If you have been a member of this little site for any length of time, then there is a good chance that you have seen posts by me regarding the subject of parting out tractors. There is no question that some tractors can be parted out with little angst from me or from those who share my mindset. There are those of you who think that I'm crazy or I'm being a total asshole over this issue. In this instance, Joe Hemmi has given me the perfect example as to why some tractors should not be parted out.

This is a 1965 Colt Super H. There are no records of how many Colt tractors were built but it is fair to say that the phrase "damn few" is appropriate. Colt offered 5 models in 1965 and all of them had round fenders. The Deluxe was the least expensive and it came with no headlamps but is was one of the two Lo Profile models in 1965. The 2nd Lo Pro was the Super and it had headlamps. The SUPER H was a Hi-Wheel model because it sported 15 inch rear rubber. The Rancher 10 and Rancher 12 models with 16 inch rear tires were the top dogs.

The most commonly found Colt for 65 is the Super but the Super H is much tougher to find. When I look at this tractor that Joe destroyed, I see no pressing reason for it to be parted out other than Joe's need to make money. If Joe manages to sell all of the individually listed parts for the BIN price, then he will have grossed more than $1500.00 for a tractor that might have brought $500.00 on e-Bay as a complete unit. That's why Joe won't sell the COMPLETE tractor to anyone. That's why auto wrecking yards have existed since cars began being made. The sum total of the individual parts is far higher than complete vehicle.

Some of you might look at the listing and conclude that this tractor deserved to be parted because all you see is rust. I totally disagree. Rust is not a material factor because it can be media blasted away to clean metal that can then be sprayed with a high-fill primer. Subsequent sanding of that primer will provide a nice smooth surface for the magnificent Colt Burgundy paint. Everything else seems to be there except for the hood spears and the rear wheels. Other restorers have managed to craft their own hood spears and the missing rear wheels could likely be rectified with some creative thinking. Instead, we have now lost another very good example of a Colt that was only available for one year.

Joe will hold his auction. Whatever sells will make him happy. Whatever doesn't sell, will get tossed into his scrap trailer and hauled to the metal dealer a week or so later. Unlike most car/truck wrecking yards, Joe has no room for inventory, so those parts will be lost forever to the CCI community. To me, this is similar to finding a complete but very rough Duesenberg inside a barn and then parting it out. REALLY? How many Duesenberg's are sitting around waiting for the odd part to show up on e-Bay? How many Colt's are sitting around waiting for the odd part to show up? Who is going to buy the frame from this Super H?

So, let's look at this analytically.

The tractor was dismantled and there are 46 listings that resulted. Those will end about 5 days from now.

Of the 46 listings, 32 consist of actual tractor parts. Two of the listings relate to the mower deck. Twelve listings have to do with the Kohler engine.

For some reason, the engine block is not offered. There goes a period-correct block.

The hood is not offered nor is the seat or the front rims/tires or the travel control lever. That makes you wonder what happened to them.

The only electrical items are the start/gen and the regulator.

I find it very disappointing to see this tractor get parted out as I would be very happy to find a Super H for myself.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Nutcase446 said:
I'm pretty sure that the Duesenberg would be worth more complete.
I'm positive that the Duesy would be worth more as a complete car.

If it did get parted out, then the only buyers would be other Duesenberg owners. The problem with the Colt is that there could be all kinds of people looking to buy Kohler parts that are readily available brand new. This will be an interesting auction.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Hydriv said:
Whatever doesn't sell, will get tossed into his scrap trailer and hauled to the metal dealer a week or so later. Unlike most car/truck wrecking yards, Joe has no room for inventory, so those parts will be lost forever to the CCI community.
I read a post by Joe on MTF a few months ago where he stated that he has procured a warehouse. So maybe he will hold on to some of this stuff a little longer. I do know that he moves a lot of auction inventory to his eBay store at auction end, if it's unsold.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no problem with him making his living this way, in fact I make part of mine this way as well, but really he's parting out a piece of history and there can only be so many of these left out there.

Because of its rarity the only respectful thing to do would be to sell it whole, besides I'd bet he gave next to nothing for it.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
spiritofT90 said:
Look at the rear axle hubs, they are 5 bolt Super"H" are 6 bolt, also the steering wheel is not a Super"H". This is a Super not super H .
To be honest, I never looked at the photos that hard. I simply took Joe at his word because he has been doing this for a long time. Thanks Herm, for noticing those details and posting. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I personally don't like to see any CCI GT's parted out that can be reasonably put back in service.
But I don't hold it against anyone who makes a living from it or makes that decision on their own GT's.
Those GT's are lost, but provide needed parts for many that are still in service, if none were parted out how many others would be junked because parts were NLA or too expensive to repair? I can only hope the parts don't go for scrap! To me it's a matter of personal choice.
Don't want to offend anyone, just my 2 cents.

Thank you.
Jim

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dont understand what the question is. Its a colt super. Is it for sale ?
Do you have any attachments for it ? The rear hub caps and steering wheel are not original
Just seeing if anyone knew that it is actually a Super H, not a Super. Getting slammed for the last Super that wasn't a Super H made me want to see if anyone knew it was actually a Super H.

Hub Caps are from a car, which should have indicated the size of the rear wheels. :)

·
Banned
2,076 Posts
Joe
Since you get help here it would be nice if you sell the hole tractor or parts to members here at a good bargin.
That is a super not a superh just like Jack said. I have one just like it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Joe
Since you get help here it would be nice if you sell the hole tractor or parts to members here at a good bargin.
That is a super not a superh just like Jack said. I have one just like it
So whats the difference between a Super and Super H?

As for selling it whole, I most likely paid more then others want to pay. This happens all the time. People think I get this stuff free and that is not the case, I have to pay well for a lot of what I get.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.