Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
`87 446: Starter always worked fine, removed and placed on shelf during engine swap. Light lube on the shaft, reinstalled and carefully adjusted so that it meshes properly with the flywheel. Wired it up to verify oil pressure with my newly installed gauge and now the starter clutch ( what I call the Bendix) doesn`t drive the *&^#%^* f-wheel ! You can view it`s operation through the hole for the coil mount. Drives forward, meshes perfectly, starter motor turning, but evidently the sprag clutches inside decided to take a vacation. Of course had I been smarter I would have tested this BEFORE I installed the blower housing/ PTO / heat exchanger etc. I have replaced more than a few of these on H-D Shovelheads and Sportsters over the past 30 years, BUT they ordinarily give intermittent failure warnings before they give up the ghost. Oh no, not this inaccessable little bastardo. I have two starters in stock and had there been ANY question, I would have swapped one in. So... rather than test firing my new engine on Saturday and motoring happily about the yard, I`ll be digging back inside because I`m stupid. ARRGGG !!!

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Hang in there Randy. Good thing is you figured if right out. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If it were me I would still be trying to figure it out. :headscratcher: Yes, the 10 minute job that takes 3 hours, very familiar with that! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Houston, we have ignition.
A few details to tidy up and install the hood, motoring about the yard, all is well.
Thanks to Boomer, Brian, and everyone else who helped with this project.
Learned a lot and have a much better understanding of how this tractor "works"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.