Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering about setting up 224 with 18" front tires and 26" Super Terra Grips out back. I already have a 446 in my garage but, something different is always fun. I was checking out a Cub Cadet 1872 Super Garden tractor and thought the bigger tires on a 200 series might be cool too. Anybody set up a 200 or 3000 on this forum like that?

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
The phrase that comes to mind here is "No man is an island" which in this instance means, if you do this.........other things may be affected.

You need to first look at the rear tire issue. How wide of a rim do the Terra Grips require? Perhaps they are supposed to be mounted on a 12" wide rim. If so, then you have the problem of trying to find 12" wide rims with the correct offset that will allow the TG's to rotate without interfering with the drive motor.

Perhaps you might be required to run spacers to get clearance for fat sidewalls and those will require you to purchase long studs and nuts.

What is the overall height of the TG's? Will fender clearance be a problem?

The 18's will go on the front using the stock rims but clearance between the tire and deck may be an issue when turning the tractor.

If you intend to mow, then you will have to set up your deck again because there's a good chance that the tire changes will have affected the attitude of the deck negatively.

Perhaps you knew all of this already, perhaps not. I'm just bringing out the salient issues so that everyone reading this thread goes away with an understanding as to what happens when you try to modify a GT. A simple tire change sounds like no big deal but sometimes it can be fraught with side issues.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may be way off on this but, I have seen the 646-8 loader type tractors with the 18" front tires running 48" mower decks. The rear fender clearance might just be some trimming or at worse I would get a set of 400 series rear fenders. Since the 648 came with either 26" or 27" tires I wonder which type of rear end they came with, the 200 series or 400 series. 26" or 27" are right in the middle of 23" tires on the 200s and 32" tires on the 400s.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
You cannot make comparisons between the stand-alone 600's and the 200/400 GTs. They are totally separate designs in almost every respect. The front axle on a 600 is constructed from steel plates whereas the 200/400 front axles are made from cast steel. The rims on a 600 bolt onto cast iron hubs with tapered roller bearing assemblies. The 200/400 models use medium duty ball-bearing races that are mounted inside the rims.

The rear trans-axles are essentially identical between 200, 400 and 600 models however the loader backhoe had special extended axle shafts to accommodate the 12" flotation tires and special rims.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have the non-standard wheels and tires on my 155 for show/parade purposes only. If you just intend for something to "look" fun, I'd say go for it. But if you intend to do any actual work with this machine, I would stray very little from stock. I put the factory size wheels and tires back on mine even when plowing light snow, as I don't know how axle strength, weight distribution, etc. will be affected with non-stock.

Chris

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found a UTube video that shows a 226 with 26x12x12 rears. Sounds like he had to space them out, looks cool.

1984 CASE / Ingersoll 226 Garden Tractor digging up the garden. WIDE TIRES

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Bushman said:
I found a UTube video that shows a 226 with 26x12x12 rears. Sounds like he had to space them out, looks cool.

1984 CASE / Ingersoll 226 Garden Tractor digging up the garden. WIDE TIRES
Poster of that vid is Mjoe7, he`s a well respected member here. I`m sure a PM would answer any questions you might have as to necessary modifications

·
Registered
574 Posts
From the perspective of a 3000 series, taller front tires would interfere with the power steering cylinder. The stock tires hit it now. A wider stance front axle with maybe 1-1/2" more drop in it would be nice even with the stock tires to give better mower deck vertical travel. This would also allow an improvment in the steering geometry to tighten up the turning radius.

In the rear, you could do taller tires, but all of the extra width would have to be pushed to the outside, as the left tire is already really close to the drive motor. With all the extra width being placed further away from the axle hubs, this would increase the potential for problems with the axles. Myself, I believe 8.5" wide tires on the rear would be more functional in increasing the tire contact pressure to the ground for snow and dirt work. For mowing, I like the 12" wide rears.

Paul

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw MJoes 226 tractor and thats it, exactly what I was looking for. I cut grass and blow snow. This is not going to do anything but make running my tractors more fun. I would even go to the point of modifying the deck to make the tires fit if need be. I am more interested in the look, the tractors do the job at hand no problem, no question. Style is sometimes to some prople half the point of anything anyways. Thanks all, I am running with it. Going to put some bigger meats under a 224 soon.

·
Registered
273 Posts
There is no way to pull off putting 18" tires on the front and still use a deck and be able to turn. Just not going to happen. You could go straight just fine but turning would create problems! As far as 26" on the rear, they should fit but as mentioned you will need some deep offset rims to fit them. I put 23x10.50x12's on my 220 and I had to put spacers on the axles for the stock rims to still clear the drive motor. I do have different offset rims that would work without the spacers, but I don't feel like paying $50 to do it.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Yes to do it right will take some $ for sure. Good luck. :thumbup:
You will pick up some speed and ground clearance (which has been nice when I have the 1 bottom plow hooked up.)

p.s. I'm currently working on putting some narrower wheels with tri-rib tires on the front of my 226.
They came off an Old Sears GT. I will post pics when finished. Possibly this weekend. :thumbup:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was looking at a front axle off a Wheel Horse 520H. I think that could be used to get the extra room to turn the wheels. If its going to be too much of a PITA maybe the rear wheels will be enough.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Bushman said:
I was looking at a front axle off a Wheel Horse 520H. I think that could be used to get the extra room to turn the wheels. If its going to be too much of a PITA maybe the rear wheels will be enough.
Not to discourage you from trying new things, but if you plan on using the GT for mowing lawn I'd stay away from doing anything to the front and stay with a smaller wheel size in back or at least smaller than 26x12x12's. The larger wheels will raise up the rear and cause the deck to cut low in front. I'm not sure if there is that much adjustment in the deck to make up the difference. I use my 226 for things other than mowing. I have another GT I use as a dedicated lawn mower.
Keep us posted on how it turns out with whatever you end up doing. :smile:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Bushman said:
If you're willing to do that much work, how about bending the Case axle forward? About an inch should do it. That should clear the tires. The tie rod will need to be shortened and alignment set. Shouldn't be too hard if you have a hydraulic press and/or acetylene torch.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After looking at a Wheel Horse 520H front axle, it was swept forward already plus its cast iron. Might have to do something about the pivot point hole but thats not too tough for the Tool & Die guy to figure out. Remember this is a frivolous concept to begin with and the ends will justify the means. I just hope it looks as cool as I think it might.

·
Registered
973 Posts
BUSHMAN, on my 220 I installed Dirt Devils {GBC motor sports} ATV tires, they are 25''- 8'' -12'' , I could have gone up to the 10'' size and they would have fit with out hitting the motor. I my super happy with this tire ,AG lug style and they really haul ass. Plus the little bit narrower width gives much more traction. $ 69. each

have a good one---oldfrank--- :trink:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.