Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 446 today. Onan engine and J46 deck. Engine runs good but this being my first experience with one of these machines I do have a few questions... the brake doesn’t work at all. You can press it all day long and it has no effect. I suspect the band lining is wore out but I don’t know. The other issue is that the deck raises on its own when you start the engine and drops when you shut it off. Third is the deck needs new bearings. Any help on an applicable part number or I just need to break it down and see what’s in there? I’ve replaced plenty of bearings before but the deck raising on its own stumps me a little. I’m assuming it’s a valve issue but I don’t know for sure. Mainly, being new here, I’m looking for guidance. And for what I can get I’ll be really appreciative!

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts
Hello and welcome to the group.

The brake is probable worn out :( Many people don't read the manual :eek: these are intended to be used primarily as a parking brake, but can be used as an emergency / panic brake. When set up properly the brake mechanism will pull the travel control lever (TCL) from forward or reverse to neutral, but the brake band is undersized as the braking should be done with the TCL, same as with a hydrostatic drive tractor.

Speaking of manuals. See the stacked dots and lines in the upper right corner, click on that and scroll down to the "Technical Library". You will need the tractors PIN (serial) # to get the correct manuals. Or if the site suffers another malfunction try this link. https://manuals.ccigt.com/ You will find owners, parts and service manuals for the tractor and separate manuals for the deck.

We have 3 trusted dealers here for many parts. The first 3 on this list.

As to the deck raising issue, I will have to leave that to others.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
HI Guy
BIG Welcome to CCI. (y)
Sure glad to have you here. 👀
I moved your thread to the intro section because it's your first post 👮‍♂️
PLEASE enjoy your time here and thank you for joining our group. (y)

bigman ☮

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Appreciate the welcome. I was hoping to dig into the machine more today but it’s raining here

·
Administrator
2,813 Posts
Welcome

Tips for newcomers...

Please go to your member profile and list your location. This helps when you want to price, sell, or buy something.

Detailed instructions can be found here --> https://casecoltingersoll.com/showthread.php/89291-How-to-add-location-to-your-profile

Please resist the temptation to 'Look with your mouth'. 👍
The search box is on the TOP of every page.

Please take the time to at least scan the titles of the Frequently Asked Questions before you ask one of them.

Visit the technical library and see what a wide range type of information is available there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's a great Garden Tractor for around the yard, plowing, snow removal and tilling. Gettting it ready for winter. Just charged the oil in the old rugged Onan 16 HP engine. Used about 2 qts 10W30 Mobil One synthetic oil and a Fram PH3614 oil filter.(the correct one to use)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts