Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As Hydrive likes to remind us, hour meters frequently lie.
The Lie-o-rometer on my `87 446 turned 2000 this AM.
Runs well, but will use considerable oil during high summer mowing if I don`t use a higher viscosity.( Valvolene straight 50) This leads me to assume that it has not been "rebuilt" (there`s that word again)
I have de-carbed the combustion chambers as the recommended precaution but never performed a comp. or leakdown test.
Anybody have more ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
99flhr said:
As Hydrive likes to remind us, hour meters frequently lie.
The Lie-o-rometer on my `87 446 turned 2000 this AM.
Runs well, but will use considerable oil during high summer mowing if I don`t use a higher viscosity.( Valvolene straight 50) This leads me to assume that it has not been "rebuilt" (there`s that word again)
I have de-carbed the combustion chambers as the recommended precaution but never performed a comp. or leakdown test.
Anybody have more ?
Hydriv has no E. :thumbsup:

What is considerable amount of oil ? ounces,quarts or gallons / hr of working ?

Do a leakdown test, much better than compression test. :trink:

Stewart
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
99, I know that an old Harley guy like you has no problem running 50wt or even 60wt. Unless you have had the tractor since new and knew that it had been properly maintained the hours don't mean much. Stewart is right that a compression or leak down test is the only way to be sure. Compression can be affected by rings or valves but if it is running fairly smooth, rings and cylinder wear are more likely. Gregg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stewart said:
Hydriv has no E. :thumbsup:

What is considerable amount of oil ? ounces,quarts or gallons / hr of working ?

Do a leakdown test, much better than compression test. :trink:

Stewart
2nd time I`ve misspelled his name, I`ll accept my banishment with grace :oops:
@ 80 degrees 16 oz of w30 would disappear in 2-3 hrs
that time triples with w50.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nutcase446 said:
99, I know that an old Harley guy like you has no problem running 50wt or even 60wt. Unless you have had the tractor since new and knew that it had been properly maintained the hours don't mean much. Stewart is right that a compression or leak down test is the only way to be sure. Compression can be affected by rings or valves but if it is running fairly smooth, rings and cylinder wear are more likely. Gregg
Hey ! Just because I`ve been riding for the Black & Orange team for 35 yrs, doesn`t make me old ! LOL.
Probably won`t do either test as the results would keep me awake @ night and compel a full rebuild.
I Believe I`ll just keep running it until I have to call Boomer ! Have the 4020PS as backup, and a nice little 7010 Simplicity that came with my new house purchase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nutcase446 said:
99, My first new bike was a 1978 Superglide. You dumped 60wt in the tank and it ran out the bottom. Gregg
^ LOL. Refurbed a `71 S/Glide (1st yr) with the orig boattail and Captain America paint a few years back. With exception of a KTM Duke, it had the most @zz busting seat I have ever ridden.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,618 Posts
I'm just wondering whether this is a Harley thread or an oil consumption thread. :sidelaugh:

The former belongs in OT and I can move it there if you like.

Hydriv........................................with no E. :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hydriv said:
I'm just wondering whether this is a Harley thread or an oil consumption thread. :sidelaugh:

The former belongs in OT and I can move it there if you like.

Hydriv........................................with no E. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Actually, it`s neither. My initial question was and remains:

Anyone have 2-3000 hrs ?
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top