Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been told this a couple times by the old time fellows who have fixed these K engines . They claim you can take the cap from the rod and take some material off the cap (flat surface, emery cloth ) to eliminate a rod knock in these engines . Sounds sort of logical....I wouldn't call it a correct fix but if you do it right would it work ?

Anyone done this with success ??

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Re: K series knock in conn rod...fix by making cap smaller ?

The first question that needs to be answered is this.

Does the engine actually have a rod knock?

Maybe it's piston slap.

Maybe it's the elusive "timing knock" that plagued these engines to the point where Case issued a bulletin about it.

The problem I have with this proposed method is this. If a rod journal and con rod are worn to the point where this band-aid needs to be performed, then what about the rest of the engine such as the cylinder bore and valves? In other words, what's the point in fixing one problem when an even larger problem exists?

This is something that should not be entered into lightly. You have to Plasti-gauge the rod journal initially to determine the existing clearance and then repeat the process again and again as you remove metal from the rod cap or you will end up with not enough clearance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Actually this was used on the old auto engines from the early days . Is the clearance was too small you used a shim .

Yes I'm aware of other issues that can cause engine noise and that the clearance would have to be within a reasonable spec (I do have a technical background ) and as far as a bandaid fix , yes you could call it that but we arn't talking high performance complicated engines here .

Again , has anyone ever tried this with success ?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts

Maybe it's the elusive "timing knock" that plagued these engines to the point where Case issued a bulletin about it.

Is this bulletin available ?

I've run my 224-79 so long with the knock, I thought it was normal. :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.