Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello
k301
question is about the cross shaft. does the shaft just turn freely and unlimited clockwise and counter clockwise? i'm rebuilting and reading service manual and it states to turn cross shaft counter clock to it stops. well my you can turn unlimited counter or clockwise with no stopping.
thanks
allen

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
page 12-18 governor adjustment
#1 pull gov. arm awayy from carb. as far as it will go.
#2 grasp end of cross shaft with pliers and turn counterclockwise as far as it will go.
well thats the problem i can turn cross shaft till i get tried of turning it . it doesn't not stop.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I'm with you now. I thought you were just starting on reassembly and just installed the cross shaft. My bad. Yeah my book says the tab on the cross shaft will touch the rod on the governor gear assy. when rotated back counterclockwise. Rod installed backward? Don't even know if that's possible. Tab broken off? :headscratcher:

·
Registered
452 Posts
I hate to say it, but it sounds like bad news...

I came across this :

"...(if) the governor shaft keeps rotating without stopping, this means the flat lever on the shaft has broken off. This will allow an engine to operate dangerously at wide open throttle at all times.

To fix either of the above, another governor shaft (Kohler part # A23525601S) must be installed. To install another shaft, the entire engine must be completely disassembled. This means EVERYTHING inside the engine block (crankcase) will need to be removed...."

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/car ... djustments

I hope it's not how it sounds....

bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.