Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
re-building my k321, I had to have it bored 30thou over, I ordered a re-build kit with new piston, rings, gaskets everything needed, my questions is - is it ok for the head gasket to overhang the cyl bore a little on one side (less than a 32nd) or will this create a hot spot for pre-ignition? is there a larger head gasket availably?

thanks

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I've seen two types of head gaskets. The good one has a 'fire ring' or metal edge on the portion that faces the cylinder. that is the only one I'd use. The other is just a raw edge. If it overhangs the cylinder only on one area the bolt holes must be misplaced in order to shift it in one direction. A pic would help, but I wouldn't be comfortable with it without more info, and maybe not even then.

·
Administrator
4,147 Posts
Wow, I have never seen a head gasket without a fire ring or sealed edge. Even solid copper ones have a raised ring around the cylinder. Is this a new china$#it thing?:headscratcher:

·
Tractor Whisper
3,703 Posts
Cylinder head gasket for Kohler K-series and Magnum flathead engine models K241/M10, K301/M12 and K321/M14. Approximately .050" compressed thickness. Doesn't need to be retorqued again once hot.
Click here for cylinder head bolt torque specs.
Included in complete engine rebuild gasket set below
Ê

• High quality aftermarket. $6.25 each, plus shipping & handling.
  • OEM Kohler part # 47 041 15-S. $22.40 each, plus shipping & handling.

Brian Miller don't give any advise on over boring use different head gasket. If overhaul engine and address points push pin wear it be good overhaul, along valve guides and springs new be good overhaul. setting camshaft end play at .005 is very much better then going on higher .005 be no knock from camshaft after overhaul.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I agree with the guys above. Get a different gasket with a fire ring and make sure it doesn't protrude into the bore.

Just a thought, if you still have the old gasket, check to see if it hangs over the bore and compare it to the new one. My bet is you got a bad gasket in the kit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks to all that have replied, the first gasket l tried had a fire ring on it and that's the only part that hangs over the cly bore on the pto side of the block, I picked another gasket up today without the fire ring and it fits better! nothing is bent or out of place, just bored 030 thou over size. I'm ordering and new OEM one tomorrow - hopefully it will fit better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts