Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 644 with a K321 has died and now has no spark. I have read a lot of posts on this issue and have replaced the points, condenser, coil plug wire and spark plug. I have 12 volts to the positive coil side with switch on and I have power to the points, but no spark to plug when cranking engine and grounding plug on head. Points gap is .020 and plug gap is .032 and the battery has been fully charged.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Keep the Peace :trink:
Harry

·
Registered
7 Posts
When my kohler did this, I found the wire end where it scews on the points was just crimp on the insulation not the wire. I would check there first and also make sure the points aren't grounded out

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Do you have another Kohler or similar engine to borrow a known good coil from?

:cheers:
Gordy

·
Registered
265 Posts
Neutral safety switch gone bad? Mine did this I had to put a jumper wire from the solenoid small pole to the body/ground. Sparked after..

·
Administrator
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did have another coil on another tractor a 444. I removed it and installed it on the 644 with no luck. Then I purchased a new one and still no spark. The wire from the - coil to the points is a crimp on installation. It has never been a problem in the past, but I will inspect it. I'm not sure about a neutral safety switch. If it had an operational one I would figure it would not turn over and it does fine. I'll check the points wire and get back to you.

Harry

·
Administrator
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oldskool, I've done so many things and forgot what I did when I put in the new points. I just checked and then I remembered there was a hook on style crimp on connector. So I replaced it with a eye style crimp on the points wire that is on the wire not the insulator. Thanks for your suggestion.

Harry

·
Administrator
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bigman, my 644 with the K321 has a starter generator on it not a stator rectifier. On page 6 it mentions how to troubleshoot the ignition system specifically the coil. It reads to run an ohmmeter between the tower of the coil and coil mounting bracket. It should read 11,000 to 13,000 ohms. There is no connection between the to areas. When I do that I get no reading. It also read to put one ohm meter lead on the ignition wire which is the + side of the coil and the other on the coil mounting bracket. It should read total resistance indicated. Again there is no connection between those two areas. When I do that I get no reading on the ohm meter. This is on a brand new coil. I'm a little confused here on what the manual is reading and what I'm testing on a new coil. :headscratcher:

Harry

·
Registered
22 Posts
You should see the voltage stop at the points when they close and return when they open again . if it reads voltage always then there is varnish protection on the face of the points. another way to check this is to strike or bridge the back side of the points to ground when they are open and observe for spark. (use a plastic handled screw driver) sorry forgot to mention the how part of how I short circuit points to check for ground.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Also none of the terminals on the coil should read any connection to any ground with the points open or not connected. the large ohm reading should be from the plug terminal to negative terminal on the coil and not to ground .

·
Administrator
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since I wanted to get this up and running quickly I got a coil from NAPA. I'm not sure where the problem is at this point, but it's dead in the water, or backyard.

Harry

·
Administrator
6,107 Posts
Harry,

Even though it has a starter generator on it, do you not need both to get spark, 12 volts and ground? How's your ground wire? Jumper a new wire from batt to points frame?

·
Administrator
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Success! :clap: I would like to thank everyone who answered my call for assistance. Lionel's post about the ground for the points got me to take a really close look at the wire running from the points to the coil. I pulled it out between the block and flywheel cover and found the wire had been compromised in three areas. This more than likely was causing the wire to short out. I replaced the wire with new crimp on ends and added a heat sheath around the wire. Cranked it up and it fired immediately. :wink:
A simple solution to a problem that had me stumped for a few days. Now back to work and get that firewood and rocks moved. :thumbup:

Harry

·
Administrator
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not a big fan of troubleshooting electrical problems. In this last episode I knew I didn't have spark so I started to replace parts, coil, points, condenser and plug wire. In the end it was only a wire and not any of the parts I replaced. It was a learning experience for me and I learned a few things along the way. Next time I'll be better equipped to possibly figure out where the real problem is instead of just trying to replace parts. Oh yeah! I've got my friends here at CCI to help along the way. :clap: Thanks!

Harry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts