Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my kohler starter generator the belt slips very often. I bought a new belt thinking the old one was not good. Turns out this is not the case. I’ve tried adjusting the starter location by loosening and tightening the bolts while applying as much downward force as possible. The belt just won’t grab. Any ideas how to fix this?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I had that same thing happen with an old Simplicity I used to have years ago. On that one, the groove in the starter generator pulley had worn to the point where it was allowing the belt to bottom out and slip. I fixed it by replacing the starter generator pulley.

·
Administrator
8,253 Posts
Dan :wave:
Does the starter has much drag on it when ya spin it ?:mechanic:
Ya might have a tired bearing in your starter motor ? :fingerscrossed:
Just thinking out loud :lolno:

bigman :usa2:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have this issue on my K 301(222 Case) right now but it's caused by the decompression cam on the camshaft. I've adjusted the valves to the absolute minimum specified clearance but when the engine is cold there's still too much clearance when cranking to keep the exhaust valve open enough to relieve compression for starting.
I'm going to have to pull the engine and find out what's wrong with the decompression system.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My starter seems fine. The starter pulley the belt attaches to spins when I engage the key. No issues there. Now and again the belt grabs and the engine turns. The starter pulley always spins though. It does start, eventually. I didn’t notice really after changing the belt and adjusting during the summer. However winter it is much more obvious. This engine starts literally immediately in the summer and I’m assuming it does not have much time to slip.

I really hope it’s not decompression system. I really thought I had this engine all dialed in and I’d rather not pull it again. What steps could I go through to check the decompression system?

Chrycotech if you get it figured can you please update this post? Thanks.

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,236 Posts
I had a similar slipping problem on my 644 with a K321. The adjustment was all the way out and it slipped. So I purchased a belt from Barneveld Imp and that worked for awhile. Then it started slipping again, so I tighten it up and that worked for awhile. Last summer it started slipping again and I tighten it all the way and before you know it it was slipping again. I sprayed some belt dressing on the belt and it stopped slipping for the rest of the summer. I would not be surprised this spring if it started slipping again. I did notice there is very little adjustment on a 644 because of the loader cylinder and a new belt just barley fits on with the adjustment taken in all the way. If it slips again this year I'll spray the belt again with belt dressing. :fingerscrossed:

Keep the Peace :trink:
Harry

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is adjustment that is all the way out? I’m not certain what is referred to above. Sounds like I need to check this. I was loosening and tightening the two lower bolts that hold the starter in place. Other than this, I’m not real sure what to adjust? Thanks!

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,236 Posts
Dan yes there are two bolts that holds the starter generator in place. Then there should be a bolt at the top that is connected to a bracket with a slot in it near the pulley and belt. You loosen the two bottom bolts and top bolt then pivot the starter generator to tighten or loosen the belt. Look in the parts manuals under manual #1181 page 62. #21 is the bracket starter generator adjust. I tried to copy and post here so you didn't have to look it up but no luck in doing so.

Keep the Peace :trink:
Harry

·
Administrator
6,107 Posts
Dan444
The top bolt Harry is referencing is located here, on this motor K301. Yours should be somewhat similar. Most times, with belt slippage, belt is either worn out, or pulleys are worn out. See black pointer,
motor12.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
My starter seems fine. The starter pulley the belt attaches to spins when I engage the key. No issues there. Now and again the belt grabs and the engine turns. The starter pulley always spins though. It does start, eventually. I didn't notice really after changing the belt and adjusting during the summer. However winter it is much more obvious. This engine starts literally immediately in the summer and I'm assuming it does not have much time to slip.

I really hope it's not decompression system. I really thought I had this engine all dialed in and I'd rather not pull it again. What steps could I go through to check the decompression system?

Chrycotech if you get it figured can you please update this post? Thanks.
Hi Dan444,
I did a total overhaul on my K301 last summer. Rebored it to .040 OS. Right away I had the same issue.... belt squeal and slippage. I tightened the belt. Then it would stall the starter. Once it was running and warmed up there were no starting issues. After observing it for a couple of months I realized that when the engine was cold there was just too much compression. The Kohler manual explains the situation quite well so I decided to check the tappet clearances. It's a little bit of a chore but I decided to check. The valve clearances were within specs but I tightened up the exhaust valve clearance to the bare minimum. That helped quite a bit but now that winter is here it does not want to decompress when starting cold. Once it's running and warmed up there's no issue. I don't want to reduce the exhaust valve clearance any more. Next summer I'm going to pull it apart again to cure the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts