Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent some time this year building a shed for two cases... My 646 and my 446... I can fit the snow blower and plow up in front and the only significant space is 226 sized just in case I find one.... I'm hoping that this keeps me from getting more tractors for a while.

Anyway, I parked my 646 in the shed last week and when I went to start it over the weekend (hood open to deal with a choke that I have not yet connected) there was a puff of fibers from either a mouse or his nest that flew into the air once it fired... they had set up shop somewhere in the engine compartment. I don't want chewed wires or obstructed cooling.

Are there any products that keep mice out of tractors stored outdoors? My shed is protected but it will never be mouse tight.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I like to catch them in a trap and then take them by the tail and smash them up against a rock. My wife thinks I have issues but at least I dont have to buy anything other then peanut butter.

seriously though, just try a a few snap traps around the walls. They work wonders with a little peanut butter

·
Registered
247 Posts
My garage was infested with Mice last winter. I could hear them everywhere and shot 7 one evening with the pellet gun while working on my daughters car. The gutsy buggers would sit on the shelf and watch me then hide once I got the pellet gun which just pissed me off. What really pissed me off was they chewed holes in my new seats for my 68' Bronco.
So, I bought a box of FastKill which has several small bags of attractive food inside that they will chew into, eat and of course then they DIE!!! I dispensed the bags (unopened as instructed) throughout my garage and within 24hrs my garage was silent. Only problem, now I find carcasses every time I move something, but ZERO live mice in my garage to this day! Last count I am somewhere around 50 dead mice that I have found. (Bad infestation!)

FastKill in my opinion is the way to go. I bought it at Meijer's or Wal-mart or some big box store. It works and fast!

·
Registered
633 Posts
All of the above posted suggestions work. 2 or more in combination work better, IMO. I don't use poisons, as I don't want pets to find dead, poisoned mice. I am a fan of snap traps in conjunction with peanut butter-baited pail traps. These can be as simple as 5 gallon pails with 6 inches of water in them, with a ring of peanut butter smeared 6 inches below the rim. Place them where mice can climb to the rim of the bucket. They will tip themselves into the drink trying to reach the peanut butter. Add antifreeze to the water for below-freezing conditions. Don't forget to check your traps, lest you be confronted with a decomposing mess of pickled mice come springtime.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info... I realize that there are a zillion ways to kill them. I have had luck with a few of the methods in the past and I'm going to try the bucket trick some time in the future.

I think that the issue might be that my problem is outside in a unsealed shed. There's 5 cords of wood (a mouse housing project) up against one wall of the shed. Killing a mouse or two might be a short term fix (I'll never kill them all) but I think the answer for me lies in a small area repellent. The soap and mothballs might do the trick.

I may mount a soap holder to the top of the frame rails inside the engine compartment up by the cooler.

Would powdered soap on the gravel help at all?

·
Site Founder
3,600 Posts
I hate mice and keep 6-7 snap traps set at all times in various parts of the house, garage and basement. If I catch one in a particular area I keep my eyes peeled and check the traps more regularly.

·
Registered
894 Posts
notelvis said:
Thanks for the info... I realize that there are a zillion ways to kill them. I have had luck with a few of the methods in the past and I'm going to try the bucket trick some time in the future.

I think that the issue might be that my problem is outside in a unsealed shed. There's 5 cords of wood (a mouse housing project) up against one wall of the shed. Killing a mouse or two might be a short term fix (I'll never kill them all) but I think the answer for me lies in a small area repellent. The soap and mothballs might do the trick.

I may mount a soap holder to the top of the frame rails inside the engine compartment up by the cooler.

Would powdered soap on the gravel help at all?
You could go to your local animal shelter and get a middle aged cat and let it stay in the garage at night and outside during the day. I happened to just take in a stray that someone dropped off, I was changing the plugs in my Ingersoll today and she was picking up the sent of mice in the shed. Possibly some fox or a preditor urine from a sporting goods store might work spread around the outside of the shed. My shed is loaded with them but they have not bothered my ingersoll.

·
Garden Tractor Nerd
359 Posts
Snotrocket said:
I hate mice and keep 6-7 snap traps set at all times in various parts of the house, garage and basement. If I catch one in a particular area I keep my eyes peeled and check the traps more regularly.
I'll agree with Charles. I live in an area where field mice are prevalent at times - after wheat harvest, after a fallow field has been worked or ripped, or grass over flow areas are disturb by mowing etc.. I keep several Snap Traps around and catch a lot of mice. I just keep my eye on the traps every day to insure I keep the traps clean and active. Can't tell you how many Magpies (birds) I've kept alive over the years. I like using the Victor Snap Traps that you don't need to bait (pre-baited) and I've had great success with 'em. One caveat to this type trap. A lot of mice may get just their leg caught and run off with the trap. In a couple places where I place this type trap I've drilled a hole in the corner of the trap and tied a string from the trap to something solid - sorta like fishing for mice. Good luck.
[img=center:2q2ehpld]http://www.rodentcontrolsupplies.com/victor_trap.jpg[/img:2q2ehpld]
Kenneth

·
Registered
273 Posts
I live in a rural area with lots of fields and crops so that = lots of mice. I have tried various things over the years. Yes traps and bar baits do work but they are something that always has to be attended to and watched after. Mothballs and dryer sheets do not work what so ever. Only gauranteed way to keep the mice at bay is with a good cat or two. I have two outside cats and they keep the mice under control.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.