Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2021 F-250 Super Duty 6.7 L Diesel
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a K241 kohkler that when he crankjs it, it blowes gas out of the muffler. IMHO it is 180 degrees of time, he says all the timing marks line up. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I worked as an auto mechanic for many years and out of time seems to be my thoughts, hiow it got out of time is unknown. Could the staerter turning backwards cause it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Was the engine apart for a rebuild. ? Does the engine run ? Flooded is the first thought. But does it’s hydro lock if it has that much fuel in it ? Set points to 0.020 for a starting point for spark timing. Just guessing.

Noel
The engine was not apart according to him, but it had sat for a few years. I,ve never heard the engine run. We tried to start it, new carb, and a couple of other parts I don'r recall what they were. It would crank good but when it started blowing fuel out the exhaust we quit on it saying we would try again the next day, that next day has been over a year.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Somewhere along the path from gas tank to muffler there is NO IGNITION taking place! There are several ways to diagnose his problem. Hydro-lock would require a full load of raw gas in the cylinder! Almost impossible to experience short of removing the sparkplug.. and pouring it full on the bottom of a compression stroke! hee hee - Yep, that would produce it (if you can screw the plug back in before it drizzles down past the rings on down into the crankcase). That's simply playing Devil's advocate worst-case to demonstrate how unlikely "lock" could occur. So no - I say it's flooding (these carb floats are notorious for it) and not firing.. and yes eventually it will start tossing gas out the exhaust because it simply has nowhere else to go. Remove the spark-plug. Give it a few cranks to blow out anything left-over in there. Clean it up and then Lightly, hold a finger over the opening and "tick it over". See if you have (1) compression and (2) suction. This can be done with a friend turning over the rubbery plastic fan - as it should turn over freely at this point. If you have these two things - it means the piston is going up n down and the Intake/Exhaust valves are working! (Make sure the oil level is up to the mark on your stick) - My opinion.. from 40 years of keeping mine running.. you have no spark and a bad flooded carb. It is just "doing what they will do" in that condition. POINTS! The cam that operates the breaker points on these wears down! Mine is about shot and only delivers a few thousandths movement! If you run too low on oil.. it will actually Stop opening the breaker points! I'll probably switch to a 3rd party electronic ignition that day..

I would establish spark.. replace the plug.. rebuild the carb.. and have that puppy cutting my grass or pulling my trailer! Not taking up space.. haha These K241's are nearly impossible to kill - the saying should be "nothing runs like a Kohler K241-series"! - Just make sure it has OIL in that crankcase! Unlike the over computerized crap made today (to keep the tree hugging green-freaks happy..) - these are like a trip to the PAST when Steam power was still KING.. (and old steam turbines were pushing current out onto the electric grid..) - oops! - my bad - I think they STILL ARE!

BTW - I found a gold mine for "needed parts" on Amazon! - Not "perfect" but lots better that those prices from Wisconsin! (fuel pumps for $149???) - "k241 Carburetor K301 Carburetor Kit Compatible with Kohler K241 Carburetor K301 Carburetor Cast Iron 10 HP 12 HP Carburetor, Replace 47-853-23-S Carb, 47-559-11-S Fuel Pump" - Brand: KAKO >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> $25.96 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I will try to get back on it sometime this winter, it will run or it won't either way Ill have him come get it. Thanks for all the replies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts