Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Ingersoll Dealer
1,342 Posts
It was mentioned at a Kohler service school that I attended that the reason for the over torque is because the rod is cast in one piece and then the big end is cut. They feel that the cutting process leaves ridges and their reasoning is that the over torque helps to flatten the ridges rather then have them pound themselves flat leaving the bolts under torqued.

As they bolts are good quality grade 8 fasteners I don't think at the rather low torque specified even 20% over will come close to over stretching the bolts.

Bob

·
Administrator
4,100 Posts
Thanks! Good to know. I wonder how they cut them in 2 without loosing any metal in the kerf and making the rod smaller and out of round?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
My new rod finally showed up. I ended up doing the over torque/loosen note from the manual. Everything went together smoothly and I mounted the engine. For some reason, there is an issue with mounting the engine. The mount brackets line up on one side, but the other I have to lift quite high and wiggle until the bolts begin to grab. There is a large gap on the one side between the frame and the mount plate. Also between top of mount and frame. If I tighten down the plate to frame bolt all the way enough pressure happens to pull the mount to engine bolt from the engine. I am not having luck figuring why this is happening. Any ideas?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Think I got it figured. This tractor has had several things cobbled together incorrectly. I think the rubber engine mounts were actually installed incorrectly, and I replaced them the same incorrect way. In the process of correcting this. Hopefully by end of day I’ll have this worked out.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Got the mounts on correctly and got my pto on and adjusted correctly. New friction disc helped. Not much left to do. Muffler, carb/choke/fuel lines, all the metal support pieces, a few wires.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Got the kohler back in, starter on, everything set. Fired it up and it roared to life immediately. I rode it around some and let it run for a while. So far no oil leak. Hasn’t run that long yet but it’s running smooth and strong. This is good news..

61 - 66 of 66 Posts