Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some pics of the wear edge I made for my blade. I used 5/16" AR plate and sandwiched 5/16" urethane under it. I'm hoping the urethane will help slow the wear on the edge and act somewhat like a squeegee when pushing snow on asphalt. If I need to push dirt, I will probably remove the urethane.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Making the urethane strips is no problem. The AR plate is another story. Most of the material I make things out of are scrap from work. They don't mind me using a little bit for myself but would frown on me selling projects to others. I surely don't want to take advantage of the privilage and lose it.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
The term "scrap" is highly subjective.

I knew this welder by the name of Les and he ran a little welding shop not far from me. This guy could do it all. I was in his shop one day and I used the term "scrap" when I picked up a short piece of steel laying over in the corner. Les cocked his head and squinted his eyes as he said: "Tom, as long a piece of steel can be used somewhere on a project, then it isn't scrap. It's just a short piece that's saving you from having to cut one from a full length."

The only time a shop considers any steel to be scrap is when THEY toss it into the container that is picked up by the metal recycler.

·
Administrator
8,013 Posts
Bill.H said:
GBACBFan said:
Just a quick question so I know for future projects... where did you buy the bits to drill the square holes? :lolno:
You laugh ... BUT! Google "Watts drill". Looks sorta like the rotor from a rotary engine.
In Russian but still understandable.
Bill: I heard of it, but never saw how it works. Pretty darn neat, thanks for sharing that video.
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I cut them with a plasma cutter. Made a template from 10 ga. steel with a 4 1/2" grinder and cutoff wheel. The hole was something like 3/4" x 3/4" to guide the cutter torch. What ever size hole it was, I ended up with a 5/16" square hole. When cutting the template, the grinder made the template look like a tic-tac-toe game. Doesn't hurt anything as the hole inside is the "working" part.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First test with the urethane edge was an utter failure. Slight uphill, slight downhill, level, all with down pressure and in float. The blade jumped around like it was on pogo sticks. This was all on asphalt both dry and wetted down with a hose. I removed the edge and put a 45 deg. bevel on it leading back from the top. This helped immensely and now in the same situations, it just has a vibration. My question is, it it somewhat normal without a load on the blade to have a vibration on asphalt ?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No banging along or noise. The urethane keeps it relatively quiet. I guess considering the contact angle of the edge and the fact the urethane is pretty live, some vibration would be "normal" in this case. It's not a really bad vibration, the ends of the blade move about 1/2" to 3/4". All factors considered, maybe I'm not being realistic in my goals to have it be super smooth and absolutely steady. :ugeek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.