Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
If you have never used a push blade for snow removal. As you are pushing the first snow think of what your average seasonal snowfalls add up to. And push it back far enough to have enough room for the rest of the seasons snow. Once the snow is pushed it sets up very hard, and will require something much larger to push it back later.

My avatar picture is a result of keeping the backyard (toilet for a short legged ankle biter) clear. But also shows what a 224 with caster can do :razz:

:cheers:
Gordy

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
The yard tug ;)

Storm downed trees.
Wheel Tire Plant Cloud Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Riding mower Automotive tire

With side extensions and scoop shovel gate extensions it measures out to 2/3's of a cubic yard of dirt, google says 1,466 pounds.
Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Making hay ;) OK OK mulch for the garden :p
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Sky

The rake.
Wheel Tire Bicycle Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim

Sorry about all the green in the pictures ;)
Cheers,
Gordy

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
(Just kidding guys, I know green isn’t that welcome here, have a laugh on me! )
That's not so bad, BUT paint a CCI tractor that ugly color scheme 🤮 and watch the fur fly :ROFLMAO:

Saw a tee shirt at a tractor show, it read. Silly farmer, tractors are red, crops are green. 😁

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
Kinda like at walmart, when lazy people don't push the carts in tight and they have half of the road blocked. It don't take much to give them a shove and get them where they belong ;) Even get a thank you once in a while.(y)

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
With my 224-78 I covered the hood with a tarp and secured the tarp to the frame on each side. Then at the steering tower I propped the tarp and canvas front of the cab open 3-4 inches. Got to love the flywheel forward tractors, -10F after 10 minutes start stripping down, and blowing snow in sneakers, jeans and a tee shirt ;)

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
Your garden looks terrific. My hard clay soil never looks like this.

Keep the Peace
Harry
The trick with the heavy clay is frequently adding lots of organic material like grass clippings, leaves from fall clean up, even fine wood chips.

I have a Estate Rake (small 6 wheeled side rake), so I let the grass get longer between mowings and leave it on the lawn a few days to dry before raking and applying as mulch in the garden, in the fall till it in. If it has been adry fall I will burn it to get some stable carbon and ash in the soil like mother nature used to do.

Then when the leaves have dried (so the mower and bagger chop them up nice and fine) I apply them to the garden 3-4" thick (more than that and the sleeve hitch will catch them and pile up under the axle till the tractor loses traction) then till them in. I have applied the the leaves like this up to 3 times in a season.

I have a Craftsman chipper shredder that makes fine/small chips that I apply as mulch and till in in the fall with the grass mulch.

It will take afew year to notice much difference, but mine has lost the yellow tint and looks nice and black now ;-) And is easier on the tractor and tiller.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
Gordy sounds like the same thing I have done over the years. I have compost bins for grass clippings leaves coffee grinds and ash from that fire pit in my pics. I spread that out on garden every year before winter and snow hits and then till it into soil. I started with a lot off shale and rocky soil at first but now it’s right where it needs to be.
It’s a longer process to get there without buying loads of topsoil but that’s how I did it.
Growing up Dad did the compost bin for 5-6 years then quit, easier just to direct bury the kitchen scraps between the rows or wider spaced plants.

My second garden is a no till "Back to Eden" type where you just keep piling on the grass, leaves and wood chips. Compost in place so to speak. Works great for squash, cucumbers, melons... The few weed that do start there are easily pulled from the lose mulch.

This was last summer, this closest plant is a butternut squash going crazy despite the evidence you can see of the deer pruning attempts. OH notice the lack of weeds 😁
Plant Plant community Tree Land lot Shrub

Back saver, cucumbers on a trellis made of concrete reinforcement mesh.
Plant Flower Flowerpot Tree Sky

Cheers,
Gordy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts