Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

Let's talk about tires.

5K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  1031d 
#1 ·
Ok all,

As part of my 444 rebuild, I intend to put new meats on the wheels. For the fronts, I have narrowed it down to either tri-ribs, or the turf friendlier v61's (which are also cheaper).

The back tires are where I am really stuck. I think ag style lugs are in order. The best price I can find is on a set of Harvest Kings at 125 clams per side. The big question here is if anyone knows anything about these tires. Link :http://www.tbcprivatebrands.com/harvestking/viewline.asp?id=4755

#2 ·
I have never heard of this brand but I would not be concerned about buying them, especially if I garaged my tractor. The biggest tire-killer today is UV rays that tend to suck the life out of the top layer of rubber and cause cracking. Even though cracking/checking is annoying to see, tires with that problem continue to give excellent service for many, many years. These a 6 ply and that makes for a tough carcass. Secondly, no one can afford to put out a garbage product today because the internet will destroy you faster than you can say Rumplestiltskin. The fact that you just mentioned Harvest King tires in this thread means that anyone using Google or other search engines will be notified we were talking about that brand. If you do end up buying them and then report your pleasure or displeasure with those tires, then other potential buyers will see what you wrote.

#3 ·
WVshooter said:
Ok all,

As part of my 444 rebuild, I intend to put new meats on the wheels. For the fronts, I have narrowed it down to either tri-ribs, or the turf friendlier v61's (which are also cheaper).

The back tires are where I am really stuck. I think ag style lugs are in order. The best price I can find is on a set of Harvest Kings at 125 clams per side. The big question here is if anyone knows anything about these tires. Link :http://www.tbcprivatebrands.com/harvestking/viewline.asp?id=4755
I looked at these tires a few months ago but decided to go with similar Carlisle tires. The Carlisle's do cost a bit more but are made in the US (not sure where the Harvest King's are made). As Hydriv noted though, I'm sure these tires will work just fine for your application. If those tires were really rubbish, I'm sure you'd know about it through a simple Google search.

#9 ·
tss8690 said:
WVshooter said:
The Carlisle's do cost a bit more but are made in the US
Are you certain of that? When I did a google search on that statement, I found the following statement under the Carlisle Tire & Wheel Company's web site description...
"Manufacturer and importer of agriculture, ATV, golf, aviation, trailer, lawn and garden tires."
Note the word importer.
If you log into their http://www.carlisletire.com/corporate/contact.html and choose the 'contact' page, your information request goes to the netherlands.

I guess my point is to get what tire you can afford and that does the job. It's a garden tractor, your not taking it across country or on the freeway.

I'm a believer in buying American made products, but manufactures are keen to this mentality and have developed very deceptive methods of making us think their products are American made, just the other day I was purchasing a simple paint brush and one boasted it was "assembled in the USA", but all the parts came from China, I then started looking at all the other paint brushes and not one was completely American made with American parts - every manufacture uses parts from China.

just my rant on Made in America - I'm skeptical.

#11 ·
OK...... this is where I am forced to step in.

For the moment, I am going to leave the above two posts from STG on the basis that I believe in free speech. However, it does not take much imagination to see this thread being hi-jacked into a "Made in America" POLITICAL discussion because you cannot talk about the former without including the latter.

If someone wishes to answer STG's question as to whether some or all of Carlisle's tires are made off-shore....then I'm OK with that. If you go beyond that scope, then I will delete your post when I get home tonight. The rest of you are free to comment on the original subject line of this thread. :thumbsup:

#12 ·
Part of the problem is so much stuff is made all over the place you have to be a critical shopper. Carlisle, Titan, Firestone, Harvest King ect tires are what they are. You need to either take a chance and try them based on our or the sales guys experience or ride around on rims. Dont get me wrong I go out of my way to buy north american products but in the end the best made will still dry rot, cut, snag, pucture ect so you might as well go with the best bang for your buck. Me personally will go out and buy used drive tires because you usually get decent tires for half price or better. As for SGT's question, you have to read the sidewall. Some Carlisle tires are made in china. Some Firestones are made in Costa Rica. Goodyear used to have a plant in Canada. Titan's are made in Iowa. I believe those harvest kings are made in Pennsylvania. Tires are made everywhere. Doesnt matter what they go on. Most of your box store tires are made in china including wal-mart. Life goes on.

#13 ·
WVshooter said:
Ok all,

Any follow up with tires? I have to get tires this spring and do know I want tri-rib front and ag rear tires to put on a 1974, 444. Needless to say I'd appreciate any input from the experienced users. Thanks in advance. Dave

#17 ·
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that reply because it's an emotionally charged issue in the current economy. Carlisle has no way of knowing as to WHY you are asking that question or WHAT you will do with the information contained in their reply. The safest thing for them to do is to pretend they never got your inquiry. However...........we will see if they do come back to you or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.