Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, A month or so ago I filled my back tires with 11 gallons of windshield washer fluid, plus the factory wheel weights. I removed the mower deck today and put the tire chains on and I just drove the tractor and it has such a washboard vibration in it that it is uncomfortable to drive on pavement. Has anyone else experienced this after filling their tires? I have used the chains before and you always get some bounce out of them on pavement but the way it is now is like the bounce has been multiplied by 5.

The Storm: Nor-easter going to dump 2-5 inches of snow on southern new england Saturday night, they are predicting massive power outages because this storm is hitting so early and the snow is going to be very wet and heavy, couple that weight with the leaves still on the trees, branches are going to snap and take out the power. It will be a nice storm to try out the scraper blade on.

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,125 Posts
Re: Liquid ballast rear + tire chains = excessive vibration

Snotrocket said:
Mine is between 8-9. It's never bothered me to the point where I thought it was abnormal.
I know, you`re a rugged truck driving kind of guy, I was thinking of OP Mark and his delicate sensibilities. :grin:
Besides, the snow will cushion the ride, he`s testing on clear pavement, a little snow, a little scotch, he`ll never know the difference
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,618 Posts
Re: Liquid ballast rear + tire chains = excessive vibration

I'm sorry for having to break into this thread because it is so unlike me to do that :lol: but I could not help but notice something. None of you guys mention the TYPE of chains you are using.

- are they proper chains for garden and lawn tractors or are you using chains meant for cars/trucks/buses?

- are they 2 link chains or 4 link?

- are they V-bar?

- are they Diamond pattern or some other pattern that is not the conventional "straight across the tread" design?

- are your chains mounted on turf tires or AG tires?

- what's the ply rating of your tires?

- what's the air pressure you are running?

- if you filled your tires with some sort of ballast, what is the percentage of fill?

Ride comfort depends on a lot of factors. Overfilling the tires with ballast (more than 80 percent) will give a rough ride even without chains because liquid does not compress like air does. Running too high an air pressure will give a rock-hard ride as will running 6 ply tires. 4 link chains are going to be bumpier than 2 link. Chains of AGS will also give a rough ride.

So, if you guys want to make any sort of sense from this thread, then it is helpful to reveal all the factors that can affect the ride of the tractor One other factor might be how fat your ass is but I suspect that many of you won't want to go there. :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Liquid ballast rear + tire chains = excessive vibration

Thanks guys, I am going to check all the suggestions above. This is really bouncing a lot. I am going to need to bring it to my sons (just had back surgery) house after the storm which is 2 miles away and I could never run it that distance and back in high range the way it is bouncing. It feels like I am operating a jack hammer and I am in low range full speed ahead at 3/8 engine throttle. I just bought a slime digital pressure gauge to measure the tire pressure I am sure they are over inflated, I used my compressor and set the regulator to the lowest setting which was around 15psi, I think that may be the problem I went outside to look at the tires and noticed the chains are actually getting pulled in between the threads on the tires which seems like and over inflated issue to me.
FYI:
Stock Ingersoll turf rear tires
4 link chains, not "V"
Wheel weights (How much do the plastic weights weigh?)
I do not think it is the fat ass causing it, It is actually a bit smaller then last year. Down 43lbs!!! Although it is still fat. :thumbsup:
As far as Scotch,uchhhhhh.... I rather put a straw in my gas tank.

I am looking at a set of 2 link chains being sold locally and would have thought they would give a better ride then 4 link. Am I mistaken on that?

I hate doing things like this at the last minute, I am usually ready way ahead of the snow. I also just noticed with the mower deck off the 150lbs of weight in the front is not enough for the scraper blade. It is much better then it was but the front is still to lite, if I hit the brakes in reverse the front comes right up in the air. We need a "think spring" emotion icon on the board.
I hate winter!!!!
Mark

Thanks again,
Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
Re: Liquid ballast rear + tire chains = excessive vibration

markgru02919 said:
Thanks guys, I am going to check all the suggestions above. This is really bouncing a lot. I am going to need to bring it to my sons (just had back surgery) house after the storm which is 2 miles away and I could never run it that distance and back in high range the way it is bouncing. It feels like I am operating a jack hammer and I am in low range full speed ahead at 3/8 engine throttle. I just bought a slime digital pressure gauge to measure the tire pressure I am sure they are over inflated, I used my compressor and set the regulator to the lowest setting which was around 15psi, I think that may be the problem I went outside to look at the tires and noticed the chains are actually getting pulled in between the threads on the tires which seems like and over inflated issue to me.
FYI:
Stock Ingersoll turf rear tires
4 link chains, not "V"
Wheel weights (How much do the plastic weights weigh?)
I do not think it is the fat ass causing it, It is actually a bit smaller then last year. Down 43lbs!!! Although it is still fat. :thumbsup:
As far as Scotch,uchhhhhh.... I rather put a straw in my gas tank.

I am looking at a set of 2 link chains being sold locally and would have thought they would give a better ride then 4 link. Am I mistaken on that?

I hate doing things like this at the last minute, I am usually ready way ahead of the snow. I also just noticed with the mower deck off the 150lbs of weight in the front is not enough for the scraper blade. It is much better then it was but the front is still to lite, if I hit the brakes in reverse the front comes right up in the air. We need a "think spring" emotion icon on the board.
I hate winter!!!!
Mark

Thanks again,
Mark
Mark : Review your manual, these Tractors don't have Brakes. In 30 years of operating I don't recall ever using mine. :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Liquid ballast rear + tire chains = excessive vibration

Hi Stewart, When I push the foot pedal hard it stops. Something is happening there! I am not sure if the Ingersoll is different then the case but I also have a plunger that when I depress the pedal, I can push the plunger down and it will lock the pedal down to keep the tractor from rolling. There is some kind of braking system there becuase I can stop it on a dime.
Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
Re: Liquid ballast rear + tire chains = excessive vibration

markgru02919 said:
Hi Stewart, When I push the foot pedal hard it stops. Something is happening there! I am not sure if the Ingersoll is different then the case but I also have a plunger that when I depress the pedal, I can push the plunger down and it will lock the pedal down to keep the tractor from rolling. There is some kind of braking system there becuase I can stop it on a dime.
Mark
That's True I was wrong in saying these tractors don't have brakes.

That's the Parking Brake that is meant to be used in a stationary position. :thumbsup:

It will stop you but is putting unnecessary wear on your Brake Band.

Read the manual, Practice the procedure and you will quickly forget that you have that pedal unless you park your machine on a hill. :thumbsup:

It's likely you are pulling your tractor into neutral when you use that pedal. This means that the intended brake system is not preforming. Something like a Jake Brake. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Liquid ballast rear + tire chains = excessive vibration

Stewart said:
markgru02919 said:
Hi Stewart, When I push the foot pedal hard it stops. Something is happening there! I am not sure if the Ingersoll is different then the case but I also have a plunger that when I depress the pedal, I can push the plunger down and it will lock the pedal down to keep the tractor from rolling. There is some kind of braking system there becuase I can stop it on a dime.
Mark
That's True I was wrong in saying these tractors don't have brakes.

That's the Parking Brake that is meant to be used in a stationary position. :thumbsup:

It will stop you but is putting unnecessary wear on your Brake Band.

Read the manual, Practice the procedure and you will quickly forget that you have that pedal unless you park your machine on a hill. :thumbsup:

It's likely you are pulling your tractor into neutral when you use that pedal. This means that the intended brake system is not preforming. Something like a Jake Brake. :thumbsup:
Thanks Stewart, I did read the manual at one time but I am going to reread it again. I just realized today the oil filters are good for 100 hours. I been replacing mine every time I change the oil. I will not go 100 hours with the same filter, I will only change it every other oil change or 50 hours from now on.

It is snowing heavily here, the wind is starting to pick up also. They said this morning not until after midnight were we going to get any snow. I hope this does not mean they are raising the accumulations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Liquid ballast rear + tire chains = excessive vibration

Just an update. My rear tires had 11.7 lbs of pressure in them. I lowered them to 7.5 lbs according to the air gauge. It did not make a difference in the ride. After this snow clears I am going to pull the chains off and put them back on again. I think there is something wrong with the chains the way they are on the tractor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,125 Posts
Re: Liquid ballast rear + tire chains = excessive vibration

markgru02919 said:
Thanks Stewart, I did read the manual at one time but I am going to reread it again. I just realized today the oil filters are good for 100 hours. I will only change it every other oil change or 50 hours from now on.
Don`t know if you are referring to engine or hydraulic oil, but either way it seems like false economy to me. Oil & oil filters are cheap, engines and hyd components are not. You spent 7K for a quality piece of equipment, an extra $10 is $ well spent. JMO

Any additional "peace of mind" is priceless.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
3,283 Posts
Re: Liquid ballast rear + tire chains = excessive vibration

I change oil at 25 hours and oil filters at 50 hours. Air filters on my Scag ZTR sometimes only last 10-15 hours depending on how much I use the collection system which is most of the time. 26 B&S ELS engine on the Scag, should have bought the model with the HD two stage air filter system, education costs money!!!!
I use an oil withdrawal system and only drain on engines that don't have a dip stick which is only my generator which is running right now as we don't have power and 4-5 inches of snow!!!!
Plow, weights, and chains are on my Ingersoll, but I'm too lazy to go out and plow!! Snow is turning to rain so it may be an interesting evening. Tree branches down everywhere and now the wind is picking up!!!
Seeya
Mad Mackie in CT :winterrules: :sad:
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top