Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Old Tractor Dudes, so this tractor looks pretty good nothing broke, owner says it was used in a cemetery,,,Creepy but cool story eh?. the bucket and hoe all pivot points seem tight, no leaks but left lift cylinder dripping fluid on the muffler, and it runs HOT, it also need the choke on just to run, and like 1/3 choke to dig and move at same time or motor died. I know it has an air leak, but it does not smoke. Power steering is sloppy as hell, and the forward/reverse is really loose. But it goes forward and back and i think will have enough power when its running right. he is asking 4k, has a complete Onan motor for it, and hydraulic pump. Oh front tires are almost bald but hold air, the rears are turf and look real good.

How much is like a new/rebuilt hydraulic pump or drive motor, and can the steering and drive linkages be tightened up without sinking hundreds?

Thanks for any and all comments. have a Blessed day!

·
Registered
129 Posts
That sounds like a pretty decent find for $4k. I sold a ‘74 646 loader only for $3200. If I saw that for sale around here I would definitely grab it.

How many hours are on it?

Hydraulic pumps and drive motors can be found but aren’t incredibly common. However there are parts guys on here, like Bill over at Barneveld Implements who can help you find reseal kits and parts for both.

Linkages can’t really be tightened, but they can be replaced. Search “case tractor jumpy” on eBay and you can find aftermarket linkage, or you can probably find stock replacement parts for that from Bill as well.

Search YouTube for hemlock case guy. He’s got some very helpful and informative videos about the drive linkage issues. The 646 is a bit different because of the banana plate which is a whole other project and there are more threads on this forum about them if you search banana plate in the search feature.

If you’re saying this comes with a spare onan that’s good to go as well as the one in there, you are in really good shape in my opinion, as long as you’re even remotely mechanically inclined, and don’t mind doing some tinkering.
Forewarning, there are a lot of small things on these machines that require you to take 40 things out of the way to get to one, but that’s how you get so much power in such a compact package. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It say 928 hrs. But I am not sure it works, as I have never had 1 of these not sure how sloppy is worn out on the fw/ rev lever, there is no positive engagement feeling, plus the black hard rubber handles are missing on all the controls, except the choke and throttle, is this normal.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It say 928 hrs. But I am not sure it works, as I have never had 1 of these not sure how sloppy is worn out on the fw/ rev lever, there is no positive engagement feeling, plus the black hard rubber handles are missing on all the controls, except the choke and throttle, is this normal.
Sounds like it's been well used, but again, i would still be more than interested in t if it were local to me. That's a hell of a lot of machine right there. You could try negotiating with him in the price due to all those issues, but they are all repairable. Get in touch with One if the vendors on the site about parts to get pricing info if you want, and be ready to get messy, but the results will be well worth the effort IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
If by positive engagement feeling, you're trying to equate it with a gear drive, it won't be there.

There should be a noticeable detent at neutral but other than that, it should be smooth. Think variable.

·
Registered
189 Posts
From here it looks really good, and a hard find, I would get serious on this and give them a offer

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,265 Posts
Bill_Allis, you mentioned it was used in a cemetery. My 644 was also used in a cemetery and I looked at it in a cemetery. Looks like a nice machine but as you mentioned needs some TLC as most do. Good luck!

Keep the Peace :trink:
Harry

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I bought the brute, it definitely needs some love, but it's all there minus 1 headlight, somebody know about led or some other replacement that will fit the openings? It also needs some tinkering with the drive, it lacks power going forward, can't operate the bucket and have any forward power, where do you guys think I should start?

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,178 Posts
Well I bought the brute, it definitely needs some love, but it's all there minus 1 headlight, somebody know about led or some other replacement that will fit the openings? It also needs some tinkering with the drive, it lacks power going forward, can't operate the bucket and have any forward power, where do you guys think I should start?
Bill, conrats on your LBH purchase,, nice machine!

With your power question, the first thing to do with these little machines is to make sure you're getting full travel of the spool in the travel control valve, (located under the center deck of the machine). There are a bunch of linkages down there that tend to wear quite a bit. The easiest way, is just to observe the movement of the spool both with the lever in forward motion and pedal depressed all the way, and then lever in reverse, and again depressing the pedal all the way. That little spool, at neutral should be at a center spot, so in either test, you should observe equal movement of that spool. (Approx 1/2" or more) Another thing to observe is, with lever in forward and pedal depressed full travel, is the pedal hitting the foot rest? It shouldn't. In reverse, that pedal shouldn't hit the foot rest either. If either the movement test, or pedal hitting the foot rest is happening, this would mean you have slop down there, and a lot of people refer to this as having problems with the banana plate and it needing to be serviced. (There are several items to wear along that banana plate so it could be a combination of several things which add up the slop in the system, which doesn't allow the spool to travel fully.)

All above checks/tests, are done with loader not running and key in pocket.

The above also assumes you indicated you were loosing forward motion when using both the travel portion and the lift/tilt portions of the loader at the same time. With loader at rest, using the bucket or the back hoe, and you should have lots of power for that movement to occur.

·
'68 - Case 155, '73 - 646a
1,904 Posts
How Banana & TCV work and adjustment:
http://casecoltingersoll.com/showth...ontrol-Article?p=103076&viewfull=1#post103076

Banana plate part by part breakdown (Lionel)
http://casecoltingersoll.com/showthread.php/74937-646-questions?p=640850&viewfull=1#post640850

Correcting Banana Plate wear & alignment:
http://casecoltingersoll.com/showthread.php/69578-646-Banana-Plate-Install-Correcting-WEAR!

As for Headlights. Those are described as speaker 777 headlights. The expensive ones have the glass lenses, the cheaper ones are plastic. With regular bulbs in them the Plastic ones tended to melt. BUT if you put LED bulbs in them instead of regular bulbs they run much cooler.. That link is to what I bought 2 years ago. There are more powerful units today for cheaper, so look around.

The Light buckets, and parts are out there. I have one plastic lense and a couple of "buckets" in my parts stash I can part with, send me a PM if interested.

I already PM'd you with lists of forum posts on 64x maintenance and repairs. Drain and change all of the fluids.

Also on 648 check the holding valve on the drive motor for dirt and crud and also there is an inline hydraulic cartridge oil filter on that model that who knows when it was last changed.

Also an Oil filled pressure gauge that goes up to 3,000 PSI is a fantastic Diagnostic tool for these machines and they're cheap, I think I spent as much on a 4 foot hydraulic hose as I did on the gauge..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks a bunch for the links and info. I see a set of lights on Ebay for 45 bucks, as the 1 in there has melted, I will look around for a pressure gauge, although I bet the multitude of fittings will be lots more than the guage, and how the heck do you put it in there anyplace, I keep looking at this thing with that monster weight under it and I just cringe!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I got the thing up in the air and removed some plates, and walla I see the banna plate and all the sloppy worn out linkages, wow, the plate doesn't look as worn as the linkages do, I know these don't show much but there is plenty of play,

·
'68 - Case 155, '73 - 646a
1,904 Posts
The main Valve - called the TCV - Travel Control Valve, has a hex head recessed plug on the front left side which is the "drain" plug, that is also where 99% of us plug in a hose for a pressure gauge.

Gas Motor vehicle Font Wire Auto part

Banana Plate repairs can turn in to LOTS of fun.. Couple of old Posts to read through:

Correcting Banana Plate wear & alignment:
https://casecoltingersoll.com/showthread.php/69578-646-Banana-Plate-Install-Correcting-WEAR!
https://casecoltingersoll.com/showt...esign-maybe-new-but-not-Necessarily-IMPROVED)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts