Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

Looking for tiller housing gasket

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  bhildret 
#1 ·
Anyone or any dealers out there have a gasket for an E-70 tiller? the gasket part number is C 12515. Local IH case farm dealer was salty with thier pricing.

#3 ·
Why bother with one?

Just use one of the silicone gasket maker products that comes in a tube. Make sure that both sides of the chain case are scrupulously clean so that you get good adhesion. After all, there is no oil used in the chain case. Just chassis grease.

#5 ·
Re: Looking for tiller housing gasket - oil or grease??

Thanks for the help - I went to NAPA today and got 1/64" roll of gasket for $3.65. That is better than $36.00 even if I have to take the time to cut it out myself. I have heard two opinions (everyone has them) about what to put on the chain in the housing, gear oil or grease. When I took this one apart the oil was greyish in color and soupy glop from sitting around for a while. I can see the point that grease will fly off the chain when in motion. Any more points of view for debate on this to help me make up my mind???

#6 ·
Don't listen to anyone.

Instead, go to the Technical Library we have on this site. Select Operator Manuals and then select Rotary Tillers. Read for yourself what Bill Parkin wrote when he composed those manuals. If you can't believe the people that designed and built the tiller, then whom can you believe?

The grease has no where to fly like it does on a motorcycle chain. This is an enclosed environment. The grease is the way to go. Some tillers came with a grease fitting on them to allow grease to be pumped into them on occasion. If the seals on the tine shaft get compromised, you will lose all the oil in the chain case. That could happen while you are out tilling for several hours and you would not even know it. Then the chain would be dry inside. Bye-bye chain.. Bye -bye gears. Granted it would take some time for the damage to be done but that's why grease is the way to go.

#7 ·
I used silicone and was able to locate some really sticky chain grease. You can remove the access plug and squeeze a couple of strokes of grease annually. Many of the older mechanics around here have been using grease in the gear cases of the walk behind tillers for some time now since the gear oil often disappears through gaskets compromised due to the tremendous pressure these are exposed to in the tough clay based soils around here.

#9 ·
I tried to find info about "flowable grease" and came up dry. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm all for the latest technology when there is a known problem that gets solved by that new technology. In my nearly ten years on the forums, I can tell you that rototiller problems are exceptionally rare. I think that I have heard of only one chain breaking.

The H series tiller came out in 1971 and that makes it 40 years old. I sold one of those to another member of this forum and he has continued to use it every year on large garden. I don't believe that it has ever been opened up.

The Manual states: "TillER CHAIN HOUSING:
The chain housing is properly filled with multi-purpose gun grease at the factory and will normally not require further servicing. An inspection plug is located on the upper right side of the chain housing and grease can be added at this point if necessary. Check the chain housing for lubricant at the start of each season or if there is any evidence of leakage."

To each his own but I have to ask this. If a tiller can go for 40 years with ordinary chassis grease looking after the lubrication, then isn't that good enough?

#10 ·
Makes sense to me. You have a chain case that either has seals that are in a pretty bad environment and/or a case that case open up enough to leak out pourable lube. So you pack it with grease. The grease may not be the BEST scenario but its certainly not the worst. Doesnt need more of a neon sign for me.

#12 ·
Shell Alvania Greases RL 1,2 and 3 are general purpose industrial greases based on a new lithium hydroxystearate soap thickener fortified with anti- oxidant, anti-wear and anti-rust additives.
THICKENER
LITHIUM
NLGI
1, 2 & 3
TEMP RANGE
-30°C to
+130°C
BASEOIL VISCOSITY
40°C
cSt
100°C
cSt
EP
X
WATER RESISTANCE
??
Applications
? Rolling element and plain grease lubricated bearings
? Electric motor bearings ? Sealed-for-life bearings ? Water pump bearings
Shell Alvania Greases RL may be used under a wide range of operating conditions. They offer very significant advantages over conventional lithium greases at high temperature or in the presence of water.
Shell Alvania Grease RL1
A soft consistency grease suitable for the moderate bearing conditions found in centrally lubricated equipment and for some lightly loaded gearbox applications working at normal ambient temperature.
Excellent performance in low temperature applications.
Shell Alvania Grease RL2
A medium consistency grease designed, mainly, for general industrial lubrication. Ideal for centralised lubrication systems operating at normal temperatures.
Shell Alvania Grease RL3
A medium/hard high performance industrial grease, particularly recommended for the lubrication of electrical motor bearings.
Performance Features
? Reliable high temperature performance Very good performance up to +130°C, resulting in longer bearing life.
? Good oxidation and mechanical stability Resists the formation of deposits caused by oxidation at high operating temperatures. Shell Alvania Greases RL are extremely stable under vibrations and give NO LEAKAGE even in repeated shock-loaded bearings.
? Good corrosion resistance characteristics Effective protection in hostile environments
? Long storage life Does not alter in consistency during prolonged storage
Re-greasing Intervals
For bearings operating near their maximum recommended temperatures, re-greasing intervals should be reviewed.
Health & Safety
Shell Alvania Greases RL are free of any harmful component and are not subjected to labelling. They are unlikely to present any significant health or safety hazard when properly used in the recommended application, and good standards of industrial and personal hygiene are maintained.
For further guidance on Product Health & Safety refer to the appropriate Shell Product Safety Data Sheet.

#15 ·
It's a really old post, but brings back to surface a really nice piece of this brand right now.

4223ps is of course correct ... the current pricing is $10 and any Ingersoll dealer worth their weight keeps it in stock.

When this post was written in 2011, the gasket was priced at $32.61.

While many of us wish Eastman Ingersoll had a full in and effective marketing and production of new tractors, the parts pricing and inventory has improved dramatically, for the good of these hard working machines and owners. That is one improvement Ingersoll gets lots of credit for!

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.