Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
motoman3b said:
Anybody know a source of 2 link chains for a 6018? tire size is 27x10.50x15 all I can find online is 4 link chains would prefer 2 link
I believe most folks have been happy with this company, I have ordered from them:
http://www.tirechain.com/ForkLift27X10.50-15.htm
If they are available I would think they could get them.
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
It seems strange that tirechainsdotcom does not offer a 2-link set for your tire size. If I were you, I would just contact them and ask them to make you a set. All they can say is yes or no. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
InTroubleAlltheTime said:
I ordered a set of these last year for my 6018 and have a few comments. They made a BIG difference in my ability to move around in the winter because the OEM tires are essentially useless on anything but a hard, dry surface. The chains I received needed to be shortened a fair amount, don't recall exactly but I think I took off two sections, i.e. two cross links worth. The chain is made of heavy duty links approximately 5/16" wire diameter which makes for good traction and a very bumpy ride on concrete or asphalt. The links are so big that they would not clear the inside of the fenders so I had to make spacers to move the wheels out 1/2"--this, of course, required new studs for the wheels.

Bottom line is that I think they work very well but they are not a quick install out of the box. Since I received them in the middle of winter I was fairly upset and has some conversations with Tirechains.com about the fact that the chains didn't fit and they referred me to the fine print where it says "chains may need adjustment". It seems that they sell the same chains for a fairly wide range of diameters and let the customer cut them down as needed-- that's ok but not clearly stated. I got another set this fall for another tractor and they also needed to be shortened--not a big deal with the inexpensive tire chain tool that I purchased last winter. Unfortunately the tool for the heavy duty chains carries a heavy duty price so I shortened them the old fashioned way.

I believe you can also purchase additional cross links from Tirechains.com which you could use to create 2 link chains.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,265 Posts
Bart's comments make me wonder if the 27x9.50x15 garden tractor 2 links they sell might not be a better solution ...

I made a run through the various chain suppliers we have a available and could find nothing in that size other than the industrial, forklift 4 links ... I was surprised but that seems consistent that I can't find a good tire in that size either ...

Best of luck

Brian

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Tire chains can either be a wonderful item to have or the biggest pain in the ass you ever encountered.

Chains that do not fit the tire properly so that they stay snugly in place at all times without the need for bungee cords or spring-loaded chain keepers are nothing but a nightmare. It is for this reason that I urge you again to either e-mail or telephone tirechainsdotcom and tell them the size, make and tread style of your tires. Make sure that you impress upon them that you expect whatever they sell you to stay on the tire. No matter what you buy, I think that wheel studs plus spacers are going to be needed so you may as well factor that in as well. I don't see any reason why you could not make your own spacers out of solid oak. A wood lathe would make this a simple thing to do but a drill and a jigsaw along with some careful layout time could accomplish the same task. The spacer is sandwiched tightly between the axle flange and the rim. There is no load on the spacer and oak is a tough wood.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i would like to make a suggestion. i installed a set of snow chains on my 446 that i cut down. they came of a semi truck. they cleared the fenders and work great. snow chains are expensive and if you only need them a couple mounts out of the year than you should check around some of the local salvage and tow yards that handle semi trucks. most trucks are running 22.5 tires and are required by DOT to carry them if they are over the road carriers. so it should be easy to find a set. good luck

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everybody for your suggestions, I ended up finding the exact size and in 2links on the one tire chain web sight they were just in the snow blower/garden tractor section

Here's the link incase anybody else is interested in a set

http://www.tirechainsrequired.com/shopp ... &sppp=9999

They were a 2 link set for 85 bucks around $110 shipped so not a bad deal I didnt think, I'll keep you guys posted on how they mount

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I got the chains and they mounted up perfect, only issue I had was some of the links towards one end got twisted inside out so they stuck out a little farther and were rubbing the inner fender now and then but I took them back off and fixed them and now no rubbing at all

So I'd say these are a very good option for those looking for chains for their 6018/7020's

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
My I-Mac is a little over one year old but it looks like it's totally screwed. The Power Red of your fenders appears to be green and we all know that just isn't right. I sure hope they can fix it with simple adjustment.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
actually they were suppose to be power tan, as the tractor came from factory but the PO decided they wanted it to fit in with the rest of their john deeres or something and painted it green.... its a shame I know but for now its my work tractor and is going to stay that color untill I decide it needs repainted!

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
motoman3b said:
actually they were suppose to be power tan, as the tractor came from factory but the PO decided they wanted it to fit in with the rest of their john deeres or something and painted it green.... its a shame I know but for now its my work tractor and is going to stay that color untill I decide it needs repainted!
Say it isn't so, Joe. :lol: I don't know if you can afford to post any more photos of your 6018 on this site because other members will start sending you invoices for the Gravol and Imodium they needed to keep their lunch or supper down. :sidelaugh: Letters........ we get letters............. :lol: :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.