Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
3,484 Posts
One of our dealers will likely have a replacement starter and Bob Kummer (a.k.a. boomer’s influence) probably has a good rebuilt starter available.

·
Premium Member
2,852 Posts
anyone have one they can part with?
Have you contacted boomer AKA the Onan master? Here's his profile, message him, as I write this he was on 4 hours ago.

I found it by clicking on the 3 stacked dots in the upper right corner, and selecting "Members" then enter his name in the search lower left of the page.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Ingersoll Dealer
1,376 Posts
I do have the Onan 191-0933 starter available, but at $450.60 it's hard to ignore the Chinese one on Amazon for $56.95.

(Don't feel guilty, I would do the same thing)

Bob

·
Registered
183 Posts
I do have the Onan 191-0933 starter available, but at $450.60 it's hard to ignore the Chinese one on Amazon for $56.95.

(Don't feel guilty, I would do the same thing)

Bob
Now THAT's someone who's shooting straight with you. Kudos to you Bob.

I'm not saying that the Ebay/Chinese part is always the way to go. Not at all. It's not even a "given" that you'd always want to buy the $60 chinese starter over the (presumably) North American $450 starter. How long will that cheap chinese part last, and how often would you like to replace your starter? To many people it's well worth the price difference to get the better made part.

But by living in "realville", by not pretending that there isn't a huge difference between a $450 part and a $60 part indicates that Bob will tell you the truth, even if it might cost him some business.

That's the kind of dealer you can trust.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ouch honestly the tractor doesn't get used that often as I have 3 446s they all run ran great untill the starter crapped out on the one so I'm not to concerned about the starter amarican or Chinese yes I would love to buy the better one but holy cow wasn't expecting that. and I do appreciate the honesty about it. I guess if I was going to do a complete restoration or had plans to use the tractor everyday then I'd go with the oem/better starter. so again thank you everyone!!!!you guys are the best!!!

·
Administrator
4,138 Posts
You say your starter "crapped out". What happened to it? Did you take it apart? Onan starters are rebuildable unless they have been cooked and pretty are friggin simple to boot. I have found many a starter that only needed a cleaning and relube to be put back into service as really all that was wrong with then is that the brushes got stuck due to decades of carbon and other gunk jamming up the assembly.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
1,376 Posts
You say your starter "crapped out". What happened to it? Did you take it apart? Onan starters are rebuildable unless they have been cooked and pretty are friggin simple to boot. I have found many a starter that only needed a cleaning and relube to be put back into service as really all that was wrong with then is that the brushes got stuck due to decades of carbon and other gunk jamming up the assembly.
That's true, most often the unrepairable ones have been beaten with a hammer when the bendix gets dry and sticks breaking the ceramic field magnets.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,852 Posts
That's true, most often the unrepairable ones have been beaten with a hammer when the bendix gets dry and sticks breaking the ceramic field magnets.

Bob
Or the china ones that have the magnets let go for NO reason 😳 This happened twice to me 🤬 Magnets chipped but not real bad, I cleaned the old glue off and JB welded them back in and reinforced the others. They seem to come from different Chinese manufacturers, as the parts are not interchangeable.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Administrator
4,138 Posts
I wouldn't let a chicrap starter near my equipment much less installed on it. There are enough good used factory brand ones out there that were made to last.

·
Premium Member
2,852 Posts
I wouldn't let a chicrap starter near my equipment much less installed on it. There are enough good used factory brand ones out there that were made to last.
Well NO. I have bought some used ones, they were claimed to be good. But found they had the same issue as my old ones. The OEM ones I was referring to are for a KT 19. The nose plate has a brass bushing that is (in my experience) the first thing to go bad. replacement bushings are NOT available, you have to buy the whole end plate assembly at $85, that was 10+ years ago. Back then I was quoted $245 for an OEM starter at the local Simplicity dealer.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Administrator
4,138 Posts
I hear ya Gordy. I was talking about starters in general, not only small engine ones. As far as bushings go, if I don't have one in my "pile" I just make one as it's usually faster [under 1/2 hour] than sourcing a genny one. Plus I can size it to compensate for any shaft wear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts