Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
'68 - Case 155, '73 - 646a
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
These 646's and Onan CCKA engines are a bit OLD. :p Therefore I was not surprised when the part number 142-0371 for the Carb kit in the service manual is NLA or VERY expensive.

After a little hunting I found a more generic VD parts kits marketed as replacing Onan - 142-0475 & 142-0664 Which is MUCH more reasonably priced, although it does not include the throttle shaft. It does include the throttle bushings, low speed needle, Float needle and seat, etc.

The kit seems to check out, I have not done a 100% rebuild on the carb yet because of how these VD Carbs are attached to the manifold. You have to pull the exhaust and the intake manifolds completely off the engine before you can unbolt the carb... I'll be doing that in the SPRING when we do a decarb and probably a valve grind.

(I have since learned that removing a single bolt at either side of the manifold will allow you to take the entire Manifold, with the carb and muffler off the tractor as one unit so that you can get to the carb mounting bolts)
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Art

One other item to note is that the kit I got had a bad float needle SEAT in it. When I tried to thread the new seat into the carb body the seat wobbled and would not screw in straight. I checked several things related to the threads in the carb body and also the seat and the seat appeared to be bad.

After some research and reading of the MS parts manual for the VD series of carbs, it turns out that MS used a single float needle and seat for both the VD and the TSX line of carbs, regardless of model they all appear to able to use the SAME needle and seat. When I was troubleshooting that bad seat, I pulled a used seat for a MS TSX model carb out of my drawer and it fits in the VD 65 just fine..

There is a You Tube video that also seems to confirm this:
check out at the 5:15 mark..

It turns out that Ford model N tractors also used MS carbs, and there are many, many suppliers for these float needle sets that go by a number of part numbers, including: 1103-0075, C3NN9564A, and 70244912. The needles are cheap, I got a set for less than $5.

I installed the 'Ford N' needle into my VD 65 carb and it fits perfectly.. I set the float space per that manual and this has been running for over a month this way..With an electric fuel pump feeding it..

Liquid Fluid Musical instrument Gas Automotive tire

Gas Motor vehicle Auto part Audio equipment Metal

If you need a needle for an MS carb, I would recommend you order up one of these ' Ford N ' needles and see how it works..

·
Administrator
6,500 Posts
A great post! I quite like the video!
Thank you for taking the time and effort to make the post, and making it easier for others to follow along with your rebuild.

·
Onan Master, new and used parts.
1,513 Posts
club
here are my thoughts after watching the VD carb video today,

Onan did not have bolts/nuts on the carb to manifold mounting bolts. These were added on after the fact, probably because someone stripped the carb base holes at some point in time.

The carb base and top ARE NOT aluminum.
they are zinc die cast.

The correct float level setting should be done in this manner,

Font Motor vehicle Parallel Tire Wheel
The method shown is incorrect, the better way is as per the manual.

LAST, and probably main problem to a successful carb rebuild. The main jet and fuel nozzle assy were not removed for cleaning.

Rectangle Font Parallel Handwriting Drawing

By removing these parts, you can then get at all eight holes which need cleaning. (This is where the bulk of the fuel residue/crud wants to collect in) As well, once removed, all of the other small passages can be cleaned better to remove the hard deposits.

thank you. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy, also NOS and new )

·
Premium Member
3,127 Posts
Boomer,

LAST, and probably main problem to a successful carb rebuild. The main jet and fuel nozzle assy were not removed for cleaning. By removing these parts, you can then get at all eight holes which need cleaning. (This is where the bulk of the fuel residue/crud wants to collect in) As well, once removed, all of the other small passages can be cleaned better to remove the hard deposits.
I did not bother watching the video until I read your post, before it was edited. I have used that carb soak many times, and could not believe that someone would not completely disassemble the carb before soaking it :facepalm: :crazy: :speechless: :headscratcher: :wtf:

Gordy

·
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Brian, that would appear to be the same kit.. I missed that because I was searching for ONAN part numbers: 142-0371, 142-0475 & 142-0664 And not Case part numbers.

Guess I'm old school, I go to the engine manufacturer for engine parts..

·
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
June 2022 - I have since learned its NOT hard to pull the entire manifold with the carb out of the tractor:
How 2 Pull the Manifold: https://www.casecoltingersoll.com/threads/how-2-pull-the-manifold-2-be-able-2-service-the-carburetor-on-a-646-–-onan-ccka-engine.93113

Unfortunately I have not gotten that far.. For the CCKA on a Case 646 you have to:

Pull the ENTIRE exhaust system,
AND the ENTIRE intake Manifold
BEFORE you can dismount the CARB to really clean it???

Who designed THIS??

Right now the tractor is running, and I have all of the CARB kit parts and de-carbon - valve grind gaskets for the engine. If all of the Christmas presents ever make it out of the shop before the snow hits, the tractor MIGHT be able to come into the shop for some work..

·
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
VD Manuals

I took Lionels separate JPG posts and made a PDF document out of them.. And I pared down the Onan - Marvel manual to only the VD 65 pages and those 2 documents should be attached.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.