Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So finally, today I was able to resume the leaf pickup-besides, I hurt my thumb so it was hard to pick up fallen branches-and was happily collecting leaves behind my 448 using my Enormous Leaf Bag, and dumping them in the garden.

In the afternoon, my wife started work in the garden, and the chickens went along to help. Rather than disturb them all, when the bag was full again, Ileft the tractor in place, and grabbed my push mower-a 21" Husqvarna, set up for mulching-and started on another part of the lawn.

After a while, I realized the little mower was really doing a great job mulching the leaves, even deep piles of them, so I kept on doing larger and larger sections of lawn. Eventually, it dawned on me that I was actually working faster, since I didn't have to stop work to drag the leaves to the garden, which more than made up for the small cut width.

So-I wonder if I should fabricate up some chambers for the J44 deck. Any ideas?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, mulching with the 7021P mower, a 21" push mower, worked so well in conjunction with the leaf blower that I may just use that next year, or-heaven forbid-do as my wife suggests and get a dedicated zero-turn mulcher just for lawn duty-and eliminate one implement from the arsenal.

With just a 21" push mower, I was able to get a heck of a lot done, and never had to stop to dump a bag, and I actually walk/jog faster than the 448 will pick up leaves effectively.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Sounds like your mulching duties went quite well, you got a decent mini workout and maybe a couple of brownie points for doing the yard work. Hell I would't mess any mower deck, you did just great. It always nice to have a jar or two of cold refreshing ale after working outside. But then if the wife is insistent on the ZT, go for it. have a good one :mowlawn: :mowlawn: :trink: :trink: oldfrank :canada:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
God, if I were a beer drinker I'd pay someone to mow the lawn..

Anyway, the more I think about it, the more I agree with Frank-I've discovered something that may knock some time off my Autumn ritual next year.

I tried running the 448 with the blower off, it left a sizable windrow but that may get better with a baffle over the discharge-even so, I can then run over the windrows later with the tractor, or the amazing Husqvarna mower/step workout machine!

A question-having never seen the term written before, my mind adjusted the spelling for windrow to winrow, as pronounced by the farmers who told me to get the hay into "winrows". What is correct?

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
xfolkboat said:
A question-having never seen the term written before, my mind adjusted the spelling for windrow to winrow, as pronounced by the farmers who told me to get the hay into "winrows". What is correct?
The truly correct spelling is windrow but winrow is interchangeable because it has been a common mispronunciation and mis-spelling of windrow for a long time.

It's sort of similar to "color" vs "colour" or "neighbor" vs "neighbour". :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :canada:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.