Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
case xc 80 rider mower - $225 (franklin)

Date: 2011-05-06, 1:44PM CDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

case xc 80 riding lawn mower runs mows drives cuts like it should condition is good all metal good tires all good this is a 30 inch cut great for smaller yards blades all good oil just changed ready to mow

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
If there ever was "the baby in the Case family", it is the Mod 80 RER..

This one is especially appealing because it is a Black Frame model with the original white seat and deck. If this was closer to Jack's farm, I would buy it for myself.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
This mower has been listed before at $275 with no takers and is still available despite my wasting an hour and half going to look at it. I didn't really want it but I felt a need to make Tom happy by giving it a good home so I decided to make a detour on my way to picking up my new chipper. I offered the guy $200 and told him there is another one not far away listed for $140 and the second nicer one in Huntsville for $175 but I was willing to pay for the convenience. He begrudgingly agreed and we loaded it in my trailer then when I pulled out my checkbook to pay him he screamed no way and quickly pulled it back off the trailer as if he thought I was going to steal it. First time I've ever had someone refuse my check but I wasn't going to beg. I can't believe he thought I'd drive that far to cheat him out of a couple hundred bucks. I know there are a lot of shady characters around but I have always operated in good faith with tractor stuff--even paying for items hundreds of miles away without even seeing it--and have never been burned. The guy's an idiot and he'll probably still be sitting on the mower in July or he'll end up having to sell it for $100. Hell, for $200 I can get myself another real tractor!

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
His reaction does not surprise me at all....nor do I think that he was unreasonable, either. One rule I always follow when I am buying equipment and that is "Show him the CASH". No one argues when they see the Benji's waving before their eyes. They know they have a solid deal that cannot be undone.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I wouldn't be too angry at the guy, I wouldn't take a check from anyone, I don't care if I know 'em or not. Taking a check from a stranger is not very wise in my opinion, and taking one from someone you know has the potential to lead to bad feelings. ATMs are generally not that far away.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
My comments were more on the seller's cluelessness than anything else. I understand the need to protect yourself in a financial transaction but there are various ways to accomplish that and still be a smart seller. The seller in this case could have stated in the ad that he would accept cash only in which case I could have decided whether it was worth the hassle to me of getting the cash. If the seller had simply said to me he wasn't comfortable taking a check I would have offered to leave a check with him and arrange to get the mower later. In numerous other similar situations where the seller indicated they would accept cash only I have offered, and they accepted, to send them a check and give them a week to deposit/cash it before picking up the item--to me its a convenience issue as I rarely pay cash for anything and rarely have more than $20 in my pocket. There are a lot of people who can easily spend $100,000 on the impulse purchase of a sports car but would have trouble getting a candy bar from a vending machine that only takes coins or small bills. In my experience the guys who carry the most cash don't speak English and work for $8 an hour.

Tom is right that waving cash in someone's face is the best way to negotiate a cheap price but, for me, it's not worth my time to chisel $20 off of a $200 item if I think it is fairly priced. If I had $200 cash with me I would have offered this seller maximum of $150 and I'm confident he would have taken it so the way I see it he's out at least $50 playing the hard ass. Many times I have had past sellers give me first shot at new items they wanted to sell simply because they know I'm willing to pay a fair price and the deal will be hassle free. I don't want to do a deal where the seller isn't happy and if they have inflated expectations of the value of what they're selling I just pass on the deal. I know that for all the $20 bills I've left on the negotiating table I've made $200 or more on subsequent deals with the same sellers.

I don't have much use for sellers who believe they are doing me a favor since they are the ones who want (need) the money not me. When I want to sell something I go out of my way to make the deal easy for the buyer and usually get a good price as a result. For those of you who don't want to take a check from me, that's ok--we can still be friends even if I don't buy anything from you.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Bart - the a-holes of the world always spoil things for the good guys. Too many ripoff artists out there today.

And I agree regarding carrying cash. I've 'saved' myself a lot of money by passing up great 'deals' because I just didnt care enough to go get the cash.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Bart

I'm with you on this one. I'll take a check from anybody when I'm selling something and prefer to write a check when buying. :thumbsup:

I've been ripped on cash deals in the past, I was paid rent with proceeds of a crime and the police took my cash. I've had bogus $100.00 US Bills so I guess there is no sure way to close a deal.

I think that most crooks these days are paperless. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
As a followup to my saga of last week, I will be picking up my new Case XC80 which I purchased for $140. This one is actually in nicer condition and I feel a lot more comfortable with the vibes from the seller, i.e. more confident that I won't run into any undisclosed problems when I get it home. So, I'm $60 ahead (not counting gas money) with a better machine! :sidelaugh:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.