Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a Massey furguson 316gtx.
The engine tag says kohler M16QS the spec number from what I can tell (might be missing the first number 24670) when I do a quick search comes up as an 18 hp made by ingersoll. I was just curious if any one else has had this issue or maybe I just can’t seem to find the correct opposing twin16hp parts diagram they all seem to come up as a single cylinder
Helmet Automotive tire Wood Bumper Motor vehicle
i

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very interesting stuff. It may be it was for marketing. I just came across another massey 316gtx on Facebook that has a single cylinder 16 hp in it. So it looks to me what I have is a Massey 316gtx with an 18 hp twin labeled as a 16 and and an 18 I find it very unique and interesting. It helps in the parts searching department for sure. That would explain why I could not find a twin 16 hp kohler while searching for m16qs only a single cylinder engine.

It’s hard telling not Knowing
Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Steering wheel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@tonyjd21 Does the 16HP twin run at this time? At full throttle is it only around 2000 RPM or so?

If it were the factory engine, they surely would have chosen a higher displacement pump for it, since you need to get the standard (about 8 or 9) gallons per minute out of the pump at the "quiet" engine's reduced RPM level.

But if someone just bought a "quiet" version engine and stuck it in there as a replacement, then it's surely mismatched to the pump, only producing 4 or 5 GPM, much lower than ideal. If you did that, you'd find yourself with a much slower tractor than normal.

Bob
It does run. I have only messed with it a little. it seems to run good plenty of power. I put my case tiller on and made a few swipes in the garden with it. It seems to be good to me. I actually was only buying it for the rear hydrolic control and sleeve hitch but it’s in better shape than I had expected the hour meter on it is in the mid 300’s the previous owner had it for some time I believe he got it on a trade he said it literally sat in his lawn for quite some time and he was cleaning up time for it to go. After a 3 hour ride one way and $300 it was all mine

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It does run. I have only messed with it a little. it seems to run good plenty of power. I put my case tiller on and made a few swipes in the garden with it. It seems to be good to me. I actually was only buying it for the rear hydrolic control and sleeve hitch but it’s in better shape than I had expected the hour meter on it is in the mid 300’s the previous owner had it for some time I believe he got it on a trade he said it literally sat in his lawn for quite some time and he was cleaning up time for it to go. After a 3 hour ride one way and $300 it was all mine
Also on tractor data.com it has the 16 hp and the 18 hp both listed as twin cylinders which the same displacement maybe a typo maybe not

1 - 5 of 5 Posts