Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tried to answer an Onan question in the Tractor Talk Section and my response was flagged for moderation?

Jim

·
Super Moderator
3,514 Posts
Sorry Jim that I can't help you but I tried. Just goes to show how much of a leader and helpful person you were here. Hopefully someone will come along an fix it.

Best Wishes
Capt Dan

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tim

My only clue is don't ever use profanity in a conversation they are monitored for vocabulary and will reject your conversation if certain words are used, even in a joke. Don't ask me how I know!
Once rephrased the conversation is then sent, yes it is censorship.

When I tried to send it a banner appeared rejecting it because of possible offensive language or something to that effect.

It's not like I'd send random people a joke like that, yes one cuss word not used in a vulgar manor.
We were told our conversations were private, makes me wonder how private?

Jim

·
Registered
497 Posts
Tim

My only clue is don't ever use profanity in a conversation they are monitored for vocabulary and will reject your conversation if certain words are used, even in a joke. Don't ask me how I know!
Once rephrased the conversation is then sent, yes it is censorship.

When I tried to send it a banner appeared rejecting it because of possible offensive language or something to that effect.

It's not like I'd send random people a joke like that, yes one cuss word not used in a vulgar manor.
We were told our conversations were private, makes me wonder how private?

Jim
It's sort of a modern artificial intelligence thingy, it's private as long as a human doesn't directly decide something about it. Like Gmail, Facebook, all the big ones. They have trained artificial neural networks to understand and react to your messages. No human is involved. But they were trained by humans. It's like the the sniffing dog at the airport.

So, I wonder why you even bother within this. It's how it is.

·
Administrator
8,205 Posts
Jim
I seen it yesterday but didn't know how or why it happened
or even figure it out, the admin would just say that fine, ok
This site is going to "HELL" more every day.

bigman

·
Administrator
5,992 Posts
Guys,

The site uses learning software and over the past couple of months, 4 messages were rejected or resent for moderation. All 4 messages were fine and didn't have anything in it that was wrong that I could see. The best would be, when a message is flagged, that it be left in it's original content, so the software can be taught not to react to items like that. Jim's original message was altered after being flagged, so once altered, not much will be learnt. The 4 flagged messages to date, were from newer members, so perhaps there's something in that.

Now, with the old site, that everyone was on, There was also a section in the admin panel that would trigger messages for moderation. So, that occurred from time to time with that software as well! The old program would at times trigger for moderation, but the thing was, it also "posted" the message anyways, so it wasn't functioning quite as well as it should have. The old software, did not trigger a notice for the mods to see, unless they went looking in the admin panel, which would at times sit for long periods of time (didn't matter, cause the message had already been posted anyways). This new software, any time mods come on, it's kind of difficult to not see the triggered message that went to moderation, so that part would seem to be working better in notifications.

The newer software till now at least, requires way less intervention from mods so that's not a bad thing in my mind. We still have a couple of items that aren't working well, but they are getting corrected as they come up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be clear the conversation was flagged, I eliminated the curse word and restructured the sentence and it was accepted.
The public post that was subject to moderation the next morning had nothing that should have caused it to be flagged.
It was merely instructions on how to perform tests to narrow down the cause of his lack of spark. Onan Performer Service manual was also attached. The was absolutely nothing to cause the post to be flagged.
I assume it was because the conversation was flagged the night before.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts