Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just broke the crap out my fan blade on the clutch, mower belt came off and the fan blades grabbed it.

Scared the crap out me, it was dark and I had the headlights on mowing. I have had an problem with the Onan cutting out after it had been running for 30-40 minutes and I was one a roll, 3 + hours and NOTHING was going to stop me until I got this field cut!

Deck stopped running and before I could react, the headlights went out, the hood raised up, heard the most horrible slapping and crunching, thought at first I hit an animal! Got it back to the garage, smoke is pouring up out from under the hood. Fan blade is toast, melted and the remains of the belt is wrapped around the clutch. I have pictures but I'm tired to night and will upload them tomorrow.

I think my problem is that cleaned the threads of the adjustment rod too well, it seems to turn by it's self while the mower is running, after a couple hours of mowing I think it loosened the belt. I have an extra belt but now I need a new fan and I hope I didn't tear the clutch up.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rockdog said:
That stinks! You talking about the adjustor on the much drive? Doesnt yours have a lock nut on it?

What did you end up doing regarding cut height?
Perhaps I better pull up the parts manual for the deck, I don't think there is a lock nut on mine.

On the height, I think the my problem is that the deck isn't leveled correctly, It's level when it is in the up postion but when it's down, the front tilts forward. So I'm getting the front edge of the blades cutting short while the back edge is too high.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
The whole objective behind the Snap Fast attachment system is that no tools are needed to remove or install decks, blades, snowcasters or 540 RPM PTO's. Therefore, there is no such thing as a locknut on the deck belt-tension-adjuster. If a locknut was present, an open-end wrench would be needed to tighten and loosen it.

As tedious as it may be for me to keep banging the same drum all the time, I have to remind everyone that most of you own OLD, WELL-USED pieces of equipment and some parts are just worn out. That was part of the motivation to create the Library here so the members could have instant access to parts manuals to figure out which parts they needed to replace along with Operator's Manuals that instruct them on how to set up certain attachments. And when certain items need repair, we have Service Manuals to help you with that.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
There is no lock nut on the adjustment screw. If the deck is too low in the front it will throw the belt. I'd also double check the tension spring to make sure it's not over stretched.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
eBoyDog said:
On the height, I think the my problem is that the deck isn't leveled correctly, It's level when it is in the up postion but when it's down, the front tilts forward.
IIRC, you place the height adjuster in the middle position prior to leveling the deck.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Mine has a nut with washer on the front side of the front surface of the mule drive. Dont know why as I havent mounted it yet and havent moved the tension adjustor either. But if your adjustor rod was moving during mowing a nut and lockwasher would most likely resolve the issue.

Seems like you have the opposite condtion as far as leveling goes. Looking at how mine is mounted it seems if the deck was level when up the front would be higher than the rear when down????

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
99flhr said:
IIRC, you place the height adjuster in the middle position prior to leveling the deck.
Mine was slightly in the center but more towards the hooks. I wasn't sure which direction to go to raise the front.

I made an adjustment before I started mowing last night, I may have very well adjusted it the wrong way and that was what was throwing off the belt. I didn't know the front of the deck was pitched down until I watched my son mow.

BTW - This is what it looked like, I think I can fix the fan blades with little scotch tape.... (Yes - That's smoke coming off the belt wrapped clutch), I hope the radiator cooler didn't get damaged but as of this morning there was no oil leaking from the front.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
eBoyDog said:
99flhr said:
Mine was slightly in the center but more towards the hooks. I wasn't sure which direction to go to raise the front.
Not sure we`re talking the same thing here.
I`m referring to the cutting height lever on the right side of the deck, set it in "M" and lower the deck. Then level the deck
using the leveling links at the rear of the mule drive.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
99flhr said:
I`m referring to the cutting height lever on the right side of the deck, set it in "M" and lower the deck. Then level the deck
Ok, I see now. I think mine was in the highest postion (3"?) when i check mine for being level and I don't recall if the lift up fully up or down.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
eBoyDog said:
99flhr said:
Ok, I see now. I think mine was in the highest postion (3"?) when i check mine for being level and I don't recall if the lift up fully up or down.
Don`t go fully up or down, let the deck wheels touch down, then center the rock shaft pins in the middle of the lift links.
( note; LIFT links are NOT the same as LEVELING links)
You`re now in a neutral position to level the deck. Again, this is also the recommended method while mowing.
Proper set-up is detailed in op-manuals for decks in the library.

When the front of deck is too high, your inclination is to shorten the levelers and pick up the back, in reality you must lengthen them, this pushes the deck forward, forcing the nose to go down, it`s rather counter-intuitive for the first timer.

It REALLY REALLY REALLY helps to read the book.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The damage is much worse that I thought.

When the fan blades grabbed the belt, it wrapped it around the clutch, as the belt got tighter around the ez-adust adjusting nut, it proceeded to unthread everthing off the bolt shaft.

Everything in front of the clutch camshaft bearings was pushed into the cooling radiator and the only thing posititve is that it didn't puncture the alumimum cooler but what it did do is strip the threads off the bolt including the end nut and the adjustment nut are totally shot.

Everthing that has threads on it is stripped, the fan it's self is only missing 2 blades which surprised me since I couldn't see any blades until I started taking it all apart, the radiator is holding oil but it's buldging in the center.

Total mess.... :thumbdown:

On the bright side, despite all the rain I took the mower deck off and tried out my new sleeve hitch disc and plow, if I can't mow I guess I will plow it all up!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.