Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a vendor for shoulder bolts to use as an axle for the wheels on my mower deck. A 5/8" diameter shoulder about 2-1/2" long would work nicely for the wheels I have. My OEM bolts have worn too much to be usable any more. So far, all I've found are the hex drive head bolts that (I think) are used for machinist jigs.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NutCASE said:
Not sure about where you live but near me we have Fastenal and they have a nice supply of these types of fasteners...
The Fastenal by me won't sell less than a box full of them. I'm not using OEM wheels, as I wanted something that I could grease now and then. Plus, I'm using 6-inch wheels on a 44" deck to give me a higher cut. So, the OEM bolt won't work in my instance.

The wheels I want to use have a 3/4" bore. I'll try to find some steel tubing that has the 3/4" O.D. and 1/2" I.D. to work with a 1/2" bolt.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CASE 220/4 said:
ing3018 said:
NutCASE said:
I'm using 6-inch wheels on a 44" deck to give me a higher cut.
Are you using them on the deck with the adjusting level in the highest postion too? How tall is your grass AFTER you are done mowing?
The parts manual shows a 6" or 5" deck wheel for the RM 44 and 48 decks. To use a 6" wheel on my deck, I have to set the inner side of the wheel about 3/16" further out than stock, so that I'm not hitting the deck at the highest setting with a 6" wheel.
Not sure on the final cut height. The old wheels had worn down to about 4-1/4" in diameter. Plus, the shoulder bolt axle had worn from 5/8" to an oblong 1/2". My goal is to get to a final cut height of 4", but I would settle for 3.5". I am located in a sandy soil area, and I find that leaving the grass cut height higher, plus mulching, helps to reduce the summer stress on my lawn. The alternative is to water more heavily than I do now. As it is, I run my main zones 40 minutes each every other day during the summer. Modifying my deck seems like a less costly alternative than running my irrigation pump more.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the 4000 tractors can handle the extra height. I'm a little concerned that my 3018 won't have enough reserve vertical travel for the deck to avoid hitting the bottom of the tractor now and then. We'll see.
The 6" wheels I got have rollar bearings set up for a 3/4" hub. I'm pretty sure I don't want to run those bearings against a bronze bushing? I think I'll just try boring out a piece of 3/4" round steel stock to 1/2" and slip that over a 1/2" bolt. My new wheels do have a greese nipple on the hub. I thought I would mount them with the nipple facing inwards to help avoid damage.

Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.