Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys can you dispell a rumor for me.... Back many moons ago, (when there was still a Case/ Ingy dealer in Central Ohio, and I only had 1 Case GT, a 222) the dealer told me NEVER to mow in high range... I still don't mainly because I seem to get a better cut going slower, but with my Ingy 4016 I can loaf along slowly in High and still have plenty of power and do a decent job..... what are your take on this??

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Case always said that Hi Range was for transporting the tractor from place to place and Lo Range was for performing all work. You can't hurt the tractor by having it in Hi Range and I have used that range for plowing snow. Most certainly, there are some tasks that call for Lo Range 100 percent of the time but cutting grass is often a very light load on the engine. Common sense should tell you when to use Lo Range.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've been thinking about this-we have a lot of mowing here.

At our old project, the grass was very thick, plus a little bumpy-no advantage to high range. The grass is more reasonable here, so I may give high a try.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Keep in mind that whatever your ground speed the engine speed has to be wide open to turn the blades at the optimum speed as well as to keep the engine cooling properly. I have attempted to mow in hi range on several occasions but I've always switched back simply because it's too much of a hassle to maintain a constant ground speed in hi range. Of course my property has a lot of hilly areas and turns which may it more difficult to control speed-- on flat areas that may be less of an issue.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I wouldn't mow in high range anyway, mowing is "me" time. Just get on start mowing and let the troubles stay elsewhere. I also realize that is not realistic for all as mowing is just another necessary evil to be dealt with. I just try to make the best of it though. :mowlawn:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.