Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's that time again! I need to mow and that means wrestling with the mower deck. I never seem to be able to engage those two lugs that are supposed to fit in slots. I need to tilt the attachment to slide them in and that doesn't happen. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think you're referring to the two slots on the back of the mounting bracket that slide over the attachment pins (tractor anchor pins) that allow you to raise the mounting bracket and engage the Snap Fast pins. If that's correct, here is my method for my '87 446 with N46 deck (LH discharge). I let the tractor do the work. After driving over the deck, I attach the Lift Links on each side and partially raise the deck so that the mounting bracket is in position to easily slide over the attachment pins and then the Snap Fast pins are easily engaged with little effort. It may be a trial and error effort at first to find the right height with the lift links, but it sure beats trying to "horse" the deck and bracket by hand.
I'm getting to that age where every year things like wheel weights and 6 gallon gas cans get heavier, and attachments like decks, snowcasters and tillers are more burdensome. That's why I use a lot of movers dollys and other wheeled contraptions to put attachments on.
Here is a pictorial for removing/attaching of my tractor and deck that I made up years ago in case my sons needed a quick reference:
Bob

·
Registered
275 Posts
I mount mine just like bob said. attach the lift links and then lift deck a little making sure the front mule clears over the front steering rod and hook the pins and then lift deck and the two lugs should slide right into slots. i know on my 448 the one time i had to grind out the slots once because they were a little bent and the two lugs were out of round as well making it hard for the slots to slide onto the lugs / pins. so take a good look at how tight it may be when engaging.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Gentlemen,
Does that work for all the decks? That sure beats the heck out of muscling it out/in from the side. Thank you in advance.
Yes it should work. I don’t even use any pins like Bob shows to keep deck from sliding while driving over deck but make sure deck is on grass and not driveway where the deck will slide. My deck stays still when in grass when i drive front tires over it. I use two pieces of wood to drive front tires over deck and then attach lift links, lift deck a little then hook mounting bracket to pins and then lift deck and the slots slide right into those mounting pins.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Gentlemen,
Does that work for all the decks? That sure beats the heck out of muscling it out/in from the side. Thank you in advance.
Hardhead18 and LilysDad - I don't know if the method I use is good for all decks. Mine is an N46 deck on an '87 446 tractor. I have read some posts in the past that using my method is not recommended for newer decks. Maybe they are slightly lighter weight, or not as strong on the top area? Mine is an old LH discharge N46 deck that probably came with the tractor in 1987. I've been using the method I described since acquiring the tractor in 2008. I recall reading posts over the years using swivel casters to position the deck under the tractor or jacking up the tractor to slide the deck beneath.
Since my '87 446 is the only Case/Ingersoll I've had, I can't say what is best or workable for everyone, especially for the newer RH discharge decks on the 4XXX tractors.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts