Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone do finish-type mowing with their 648? There was a mower deck sent with my new-to-me 648 but turns out it's a K46 which runs off a belt, not hydraulics. I doubt the tractor is set up for belt drive. Mechanic says he can modify the tractor to make it work, but apparently this tractor isn't particularly well suited to mowing anyway--not maneuverable enough in tight spots, plus the mower deck looks like a pain to take off and put on. I bought the tractor primarily to use the loader and some rear attachments, so probably wouldn't want the mower deck on all the time. The other option would be to try to find a hydrostatic mower deck made for this model, but that might be tough to find so looks like I'd be better off just getting a lawn tractor for mowing my 3/4 acre of lawn. Before giving up on using this for mowing, just thought I'd check to see if anyone mows with their 648 and how it works. Thanks.

Edited to add: I just looked at the manual for the K46 mower deck and in fact it's listed as an attachment for the 648. So, it should work??

·
'68 - Case 155, '73 - 646a
1,986 Posts
Yes, Case did setup the loaders to handle the mower and one would assume the snowcaster as well. But as you pointed out, the Loaders DO NOT turn that sharp and swinging the loader and bucket around in front of you as you mow is likely to smack into something. (i'm an Ol' farm kid and drove the loader tractor on the farm. I know from experience that a loader sticking out in front of a tractor can get you into trouble.....)

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Car Vehicle

IMHO use the loader as a loader and a mower as a mower.. Personally, I use a 40 year old Dixon zero turn mower for the grass.. the 646 lifts all the stuff I cannot and the Antique Case 155 pulls the sweeper and rake and wagons, etc

·
Administrator
6,445 Posts
Well, not sure if you want to mow with it,, but regardless.
Doesn't your 648 have a lever, on the frame, on the left side where your foot rest is?

That's to turn on a front PTO clutch, that links via a belt, to the mowers,,, 648's don't use hydraulic type mowers, so I'm not sure what the mechanic looked at it,,

So, yes, you're tractor should be setup for a belt drive, providing someone didn't turf the clutch off it.

Check this manual out,
page #27 shows the clutch type/style.

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,506 Posts
On my 646 I connected a HRM48H mower on the 3pt and use the pto to drive it. I had to plumb in a case drain for the hydraulic drive motor when I added a filter for the hydraulic system. I mow the field in the back where there is a lot of room to swing the monster around. This is not the set up to mow a lawn with, even though I see a few people in my area use the newer GT's with a loader and a mower. I think they look funny driving these around in their yard with the bucket up. I believe my 644lbh has a clutch mechanism and a hydraulic cylinder under it, which is completely useless with the heavy counter weights under it. I could remove the weights and slide a deck under it then drive it around with the loader up and the backhoe up to cut grass. That would be a sight to see, but I'm not going there.

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,265 Posts
Cardinale, some good experiences should be shared with the post here.

If possible, post a photo of the complete mower deck and front carriage / mule drive assembly. The front bracket is unique for the 600 loaders and may not have been the one included with your mower deck.

Much to my surprise, Ingersoll has inventory on the C30168 front bracket for the 648 loaders, and it is quite affordably priced ... likely never produced since the 90's and working on very old price/cost basis.

I tend to agree that these are not the most convenient and nimble mowers, including having the deck installed while trying to do real loader work in rugged terrain or tight spaces.

However, maybe it is the budget friendly solution for you, if all the bits are currently there, including a functional clutch.

Brian

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
On my 646 I connected a HRM48H mower on the 3pt and use the pto to drive it. I had to plumb in a case drain for the hydraulic drive motor when I added a filter for the hydraulic system. I mow the field in the back where there is a lot of room to swing the monster around. This is not the set up to mow a lawn with, even though I see a few people in my area use the newer GT's with a loader and a mower. I think they look funny driving these around in their yard with the bucket up. I believe my 644lbh has a clutch mechanism and a hydraulic cylinder under it, which is completely useless with the heavy counter weights under it. I could remove the weights and slide a deck under it then drive it around with the loader up and the backhoe up to cut grass. That would be a sight to see, but I'm not going there.

Keep the Peace
Harry
UFDA, Just thinking about the extra soil compaction on the lawn with that rig o_O

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, the lawn will be new--is being planted later this month. Bermudagrass, which is pretty tough once established but I'm not sure about driving the Case over it while it's establishing. I'm selling the house and moving next fall, so am trying to avoid buying a riding mower if possible. That's why I was trying to see whether the 648 could be made to work. The areas to be mowed have some tight spots so it could be problematic.

Also, pricing just the lower-cost riding mowers at the big box stores, the models available in AZ start at over $2,000. I really don't want to spend that much, and buying used around here is problematic--there aren't many for sale and I need a mechanic if anything significant goes wrong but there literally isn't anyone I know of who could work on it; the local mower repair shop doesn't work on riding mowers. The garage working on the Case took it on because it's a "real tractor" industrial machine; I don't know whether they would work on a riding mower and anyway they can take a long time (months) since their main business is servicing farm equipment.

The other option I guess is to hire a lawn care service but there are several areas to mow and the cost for the next 6 months or so would probably be fairly steep (could well equal the cost of buying a lawn tractor), plus I would like to ensure it's done the right way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Get all you need/want done with the loader now, then take it off for the summer and mow with it. Used to do that all the time with farm loaders.
For many tractors that would make sense but in isn't it recommended to not take the loader off a 648? It came factory-installed and is not really designed to be removed? Not sure where I heard that but how tough is it to take off/put back on the loader and can it be subjected to any stress in the process? Also, I just had the hydraulics for the loader rebuilt ($$$).

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,265 Posts
Easy enough to remove the bucket with a few pins extracted. Not the whole loader framework. Not something you would want to do daily, but twice a year wouldn't be too bad.

I'll need to defer to a member with 600 series w/mower deck or one of the other long time dealers to say if that is the right front bracket for the 648. Looks pretty much like a standard K46 bracket, but it does have the pins hanging in it still, so perhaps it was actually used on this 648.

Additional key question will be the condition of the clutch, which is hopefully all good and ready to use the deck.

Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts