Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ebay Muffler

Hello all,

any reviews or information about this muffler? I am in a pickle that and I might be able to reskin my muffler, but it isn't going to last forever. I have an early 1971 444 and from the picture, this looks like the correct flange/muffler orientation.

Thank you in advance.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
This is an American-made reproduction muffler and the quality is excellent. The person selling it on e-Bay is a member of this forum and he can be trusted implicitly. You will not find a new muffler anywhere for less money. While it is not OEM correct for your 71 444, it will certainly solve your exhaust problem. If you want the correct muffler, then use the e-Bay system and contact the Seller.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hydrive,

Thank you for the reference. I am going to buy it via ebay based on cross referencing my tractor (444), S/N 9652757, to be a pre-1972. It has snapfast, so I know I am in the '70s.

One more thing, I am going to need a gasket also, I will try to local tractor supplier once I have the muffler, even though they deal :thumbdown: Deere :thumbdown: and don't like seeing me.

Brian

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
I am in ERROR..

The muffler being offered by rustycase is correct for your tractor. Sorry about that. :???: :???:

I confirmed it by checking this Parts Manual.

http://www.manuals.casecoltingersoll.co ... marked.pdf

It is a slow download, even on hi-speed but it does show that muffler as being correct.

Any Deere dealer should have that gasket in stock. Good luck with your repair.

EDIT:

I corrected the link. Parts Manual 1181 is the original manual for your tractor. It was followed by A1181, B1181 and C1181.

Manual C1181 http://www.manuals.casecoltingersoll.co ... marked.pdf shows photos with the correct muffler (C12071) but the parts page shows the muffler (C10839) that replaced the early one. That is why I was confused. It was my belief that your tractor used C10839, which is a larger can with no tailpipe.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I went with it. Not sure why you linked a Simplicity manual, but my manual does reference the part number C18039 listed in the auction... I'll let everybody know how this works out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks like a nice muffler. How would this work on a 74' 644? Starter/Gen so exhaust is on r.h.s. Previous owner cut off the bad can and boogered a pepper pot Rube Goldberg setup on the one I recently picked up. The way it's plumbed up you have your choice of interfering with the loader cyl when the booms are down or the fuel line going into the fuel pump. I assume that the flange on the bottom that the little vise is clamped onto in the pic. bolts to the engine mounts? There is already a factory hole on the 644 for the C21977 muffler which is also NLA. I wouldn't be opposed to making another hole if that's all that would be required.

Thanks

Knucklebuster

·
Registered
994 Posts
One word of wisdom here. I am not trying to give the guy who makes them a hard time as they are very nice pieces but if you are going to use the tractor it's going on then I would grind the back brazing off the flange and weld it. I posted about this last winter and even the manufacturer commented on this. Just some food for thought to save problems later on. I have that muffler on my 195 and I use it on a regular basis. Took 9 months of yard work and mowing to get mine to pop. I would buy another if I ever needed one.

·
Registered
715 Posts
horton20 said:
I have one on my 644 and it doesn,t interfer with the loader arms. fits perfect. horton20
Hey Horton, could you please post a couple of pictures of your muffler setup....I searched your other thread and no one ever posted any pics.Thanks in advance, Mark

·
Registered
650 Posts
I bought one of these for one of my first 220's and was pleased by the quality of the exhaust, as the exhaust gaskets go, they are easily obtainable but by trial and error, I found the thicker composite gasket works better than the metallic one as they make a better seal esp if you have to take the exhaust off once or twice.

The only negitive thing I can say about the muffler is that due to it's smaller size, It's not as quiet as I would prefer but there's not much one can do about that other than to fabricate a larger muffler. I'm a fan of the low tone, throttly sound of the larger twin cylinder mufflers offer and there's not much one can due with the single cylinder exhaust noise.

For the price and quality, you can't go wrong with Steve's repro muffler!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.