Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer I treated the 195 to a repro muffler. I was just out plowing snow with it tonight and it started to sound more like my truck. I got back in the garage and noticed the flange came off that mounts to the exhaust port. Now, was this flange anything of a good idea in the beginning? Seems most I see have a threaded pipe screwed into the exhaust port with the pipe clamped on it. Any thoughts? I may tack it with the wire welder and take it to work and TIG it if this is just a freak thing. Either way it's still better than the erector set of plumbing and pepper pot the PO had on it.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Your wording is a bit unclear. Did the exhaust system come away from the engine block or did the welding of the flange to the exhaust pipe fail?

As you stated, this is a "reproduction muffler/exhaust system". Therefore, it was crafted exactly the way the original ones were so it would be "correct" for those who restore these early models. The exhaust system is subjected to quite a bit of vibration. I believe that your engine will have the balancing gears inside to try and offset some of that vibration but they don't compensate for all of it. Welds can fail for other reasons too. I would grind off all the old welds, position the parts back on the engine and then tack the flange to the pipe. If you can shield the surrounding area, then I would weld it while it is in place to prevent the flange from warping.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, thats what I did tonight. I tacked it, ground the braze off and welded it inside and out. All thats left is to file a little weld off the gasket face and reinstall. If it does it again I may machine a fitting to screw into the head that the pipe will slip over.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think it might be a "semi-common" problem. As mine did the same, just had it welded all the way around. While it can be a PITA, I am going to get my others welded before I install them as a pre-emptive measure.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Same problem with my 195, I made a support bracket from the cooling shroud to the muffler. How the muffler vibrates along with the motor with no whip action or hanging weight. I could post a picture of the setup that I have

---oldfrank---

·
horton 20
364 Posts
Muffler problem

I know there is a problem and have talk it over with the old guy that makes them. I told him they need to be welded, he said he try to wire weld them and they look like hell,so braze it will be. Its the only place we have ever found that would make them in small amounts. One guy we tryed would make them, but only 500 at a time at $78 a piece,I told him i didn,t want to mortgage the farm,so that ended that. They seem to be ok on show tractors, but if use it a lot ,the old kohler shakes the hell out of it. So for now thats what we have. If anybody can come up with something better go for it,for now its best thing we have, better than water pipe. horton 20.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steve, dont get me wrong, they are very nice mufflers! But as you said the braze does not like the vibration from constant use. I ended up wire welding mine with a Miller 130 set on #1 power and about 60 on the wire feed. Welded very nice. I can post pictures if needed. Thanks for all you have done for the hobby.

·
horton 20
364 Posts
I put one on a 644 and it was used a lot and finally broke at flange,but i discovered the bolt was missing from the brace to the blower housing. Theres one on my t-90 and its been run alot at different shows and still seems to be ok. I,m afraid to push the old boy on the welding, for fear he will say go somewhere else if you don,t like mine. What do you do?? I wish they were perfect, but there not. horton20.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Just a suggestion Steve.

Perhaps you could let him supply you the exhaust pipe/muffler/tailpipe assembly and then get someone else to MIG up the flanges to the pipe. Naturally, a JIG would be needed for proper alignment but that isn't a big deal to create.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
1031d said:
Steve, dont get me wrong, they are very nice mufflers! But as you said the braze does not like the vibration from constant use. I ended up wire welding mine with a Miller 130 set on #1 power and about 60 on the wire feed. Welded very nice. I can post pictures if needed. Thanks for all you have done for the hobby.
:+1:

No complaints here either Steve!! I will be buying several more from ya in the next several months!!

Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.