Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Welcome to our little corner of the internet, Matt.

I would suggest that you get the serial number off the ID plate on your tractor and then visit the Library so you can find the correct Parts Manual. That manual will have a wiring pictorial in it. Not quite the same as a true schematic but it works for most people.

The use of motor oil is something that has been going on for many years and many hydraulic systems use it today. Motor oil has the correct viscosity for the drive motors used in the tractor and implements. There is no need to deviate from a product that has been used since 1962 and is still used today in the new Ingersoll models. Yes, I could name a couple of alternative oils but what would be the point? Motor oil is readily available and it's packaged in several convenient forms. It is very much a "real hydraulic fluid" and I don't believe that you will find anything else that will outperform it.

The banana plate is a device that came into use in 1972 and is still in use today. Naturally, like most things mechanical, it is subject to wear and tear. FYI, the 600 Series tractors were designed by the same engineers that created the 580 Loader/Backhoe.... one of the most successful pieces of construction equipment ever made. When the banana plate and accompanying parts are in good repair, the system works quite well. As for the fan, some models did not even have a fan on them. Once again, the use of cooling fan on the hydraulic system goes back to the 60's and it served many thousands of owners of the garden tractors until 1988, when the three-digit models were discontinued. I don't know of anyone who has bothered to create a fan shroud or to substitute a different fan. I think that you need to spend some more time operating your 648 so that you come to know it better. I think that your opinion will change as a result of that exposure.

As for trans-axle bolts, this is something that you should do sooner than later. If you go to the FAQ's, you will likely find several documents of interest there. :thumbsup: :trink:

Hilda.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.