Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I picked up this CASE 118 last weekend and have been looking everywhere for information. I finally stumbled on a few forums and then last night found one specifically for these tractors! The engine is not original it now has a 11 HP Briggs in it, that must be why the hood is cut. I am going to get it running this weekend. This is my first tractor and I am excited. Here are a few pics:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Welcome, What took you so long to get here? :sidelaugh:

I wish that I could tell you that we have the correct Parts Manual and Operator's Manual for your 118 but we are still searching for those. We do have an Op Manual for a slightly newer 108 and that will provide you with a lot of much needed info. The changes were not dramatic between the Sunset models and the Power Red ones. Your hood was cut out for clearance on the left side.........just not to the same extent. The larger engine forced that to happen.

If you look in our Classifieds section, there is a Sunset 108 for sale. The asking price is $150.00. Sometimes...............buying two tractors so you can select the best parts from both is the smart way to end up with a nicely restored tractor that is correct in every way. You need a hood and you need an engine. Offer $100.00 and see what happens. Hopefully, it is in striking distance for you.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Welcome! :coolphotos:
I've got the same tractor, with a parts pile 8hp out of it.
Working on fabbing up an air cleaner that allows me to fit the briggs 12hp I have laying on the ground.
without cutting the hood.
I have all the manuals for this, they were saved into the mauals section
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2166

I dont know about you but the heft of the deck suprised me the most!, that's good 'ol thick steel.

congrats, I'll be following your progress!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I was looking last night and the only things missing to prevent me from driving it home(I got it from my neighbor) is a fuel line, the fitting that holds the fuel line in the tank, and a battery. I am sure I can rig something up to get it running. I will probably just have fun driving it for now and this fall/winter start cleaning it up.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
If you look at the top of the page to the right, you will see the words "Members". Click on that to open to the first page of members. On the top of that list to the left is a little helper "Username begins with" Go to the letter C and click on that. Scroll through the pages and find "caseracer" and click right on his name. In the middle of that page you will see some red lettering that says "Search Users Posts" Click on that and take a look at the very first few posts from this member, meaning the oldest posts.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hydriv said:
If you look at the top of the page to the right, you will see the words "Members". Click on that to open to the first page of members. On the top of that list to the left is a little helper "Username begins with" Go to the letter C and click on that. Scroll through the pages and find "caseracer" and click right on his name. In the middle of that page you will see some red lettering that says "Search Users Posts" Click on that and take a look at the very first few posts from this member, meaning the oldest posts.
He does some nice work! Lawnmower racing is popular around here but likely something I won't do. I bet he has some ideas on getting parts for the 100 series tractor considering the work he does to them. I found the thread on the 130, that thing is a beauty.

I snapped a pic of the serial number plate last night to find out what year this thing is for sure so I wil lbe looking over the charts in a few minutes. EDIT: Looks to be 1973.

I lifted up the seat last night and noticed it had a full size battery in there, not a regular lawn and garden battery...is that normal? The pump looked to be in good shape and it was topped off on fluid, should I change that out before trying to start it up? If so what kind of fluid goes in there? I apologize for my ignorance and am off to research some of my questions a little harder.

As far as I can tell for now the only parts that are missing is the plastic nob on the throttle and the seat is really beyond repair.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
OK..... You need to slow down here before you make a drastic error.

We have a TECH Library for good reason. Go to the Service Manuals/Trans-axle section and READ the bulletin about 117/118 Hydrostatic Trans-axles. I think that you will be surprised.

Case and Ingersoll never used a full-sized battery in any LT, YT, GT or ZTR.

As for CaseRacer, I just wanted you to see how nice your tractor could look after restoration. Many parts are still available through the dealers listed in the FAQ's section but picking up a cheap parts tractor is often a wiser move.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found the service manual for the transmission and trans-axle, thank you. I don't think I will be doing anything to it.
I also saw the parts manual for it, I did see one on ebay as well and may order it to have a hard copy in the shop.

I will eventually look into getting a parts tractor, but other than the hood being cut and the seat destroyed it is in pretty good shape and in need of some paint. I don't have the funds to do all that anytime soon so right now I will be focusing on getting it running and make it pull a yard roller around my yard. I got lucky with this one because my neighbor was going to sell it, but gave it to me for helping him out with a few things, so far I have $25 in it and that is just the price of a battery.

I am going to pull the old battery this weekend and put in a correct sized unit and see if it turns over.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Bates,
My battery was under the hood (gas tank actually)
I think that is the proper place for it.

might have been relocated for weight advantage, or because it was too big to fit under the hood.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
:goodpost: I agree with the points Old Abe made.

The correct place for the battery is directly behind the engine and underneath the fuel tank. Your tractor was likely ordered with the optional weight box that extends behind the trans-axle area. The PO apparently chose this spot to house the battery because it would accept a car-sized unit and the additional weight would assist somewhat with traction as well as making the battery more accessible for routine servicing. Staying with the OEM battery and making up solid lead plates to put in the weight box would have been far more effective in finding more traction IF...that was actually a concern.

If you read the Hydro manual, then you should be aware just how susceptible those drives are to the tiniest bit of oil contamination.

I don't know what you wish to do with this 118 but they are now more of a Collector Tractor then a work tractor that is used regularly. I don't know what the status is for parts that might be needed if the hydro fails nor the cost of them. And speaking of cost, I think that the wording used in the manual would trouble me because I don't know if my shop would be clean enough to risk taking the hydro apart, replacing worn parts and re-assembling it. If I was forced to hand it over to a Pro shop to do this work, what would it cost me? Hydro's are not inexpensive to buy or rebuild. If you are paying someone to open it up, then you allow them to replace all the parts that are worn and not just the part that failed.

Currently, the old Case LT's are not widely collected. Those who are into Case, as a brand, are collecting the Garden Tractors. Therefore, the LT's don't bring much money on the open market because there is little demand. If the trans-axle fails on you, then your 118 won't be worth much more than the cost of that new battery.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All good points. I have no intention of opening up the trans axle. If it works great, if not, I am not out anything other than a few hours of my time throwing hay for the neighbor. I don't plan on doing any hard work with it, just to get it moving and eventually, maybe get it looking nice. I will put the battery back where it belongs because I can't think of a reason to need the extra weight in the back. We get a lot of snow, but I wont be using this pup for moving it. I would much prefer to have a larger CASE GT, but this was nearly free and I think it looks neat. One day I's like to have a 400 series.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.