Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am confused as to what is available and how the rear attachments work. Looking at my tractors manuals shows a number of attaching devices available.
1) The 3point H26
2) The adapter F27
3) The Sleeve Hitch J24

Is the 3point and sleeve hitch 2 different options? It appears they are and the adapter and 3point are both needed for functionality while using just the Sleeve hitch is the option to these previous 2.

If this is the case I can imagine the pro's and con's but I need confirmation on this before I continue with more questions.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,268 Posts
Re: Need help understanding options for using rear attachmen

The Case/Ingersoll 3 point hitch is a true category 0 3-point hitch. It adds versatility, control, and safety beyond the capability of a sleeve hitch.

I personally use the 3 point to the extent of its capabilities with a rear aerator (approx 250 lbs working weight) and a limited Cat 1 rear grader blade (pulling snow out of corners and scraping hard packed snow/ice).

The F27 'sleeve hitch adaptor' allows the 3 point hitch to be utilized with accessories designed for a sleeve hitch, including the Ingersoll rototiller, Brinley 1 bottom plows, cultivators, etc. Basically, it adds more versatility to the 3 point. (The Case/Ingersoll rototiller is designed for sleeve hitch mouting, so it can be used on the more economical hitch platform).

The J or K24 sleeve hitch is the simplest, most cost effective hitch platform to utilize accessories designed specifically for sleeve hitch mounting. If for example, you expect only to use the Case rototiller, then many many owners are perfectly happy with just the sleeve.

As for 3 points, it is a record of debate, but I recommend to look for a model J26 or HH34 (more expensive and robust), which have the benefit of a true dual action hydraulic cylinder, including the ability to apply real holding pressure and down force on the hitch. While certainly not necessary for all implements, it is very handy in depth control when rototilling, aerating, and back blade work.

I know ... purists will say downforce should not be used on a 3 point ... implement weight should get the work done ... but my experience says these implements are not farm brutes and 150 lbs mass is not enough to do some of the work these implements can easily and robustly tolerate. Adding some of the effective weight of the tractor makes all the difference.

Good luck deciding and hunting ...

Brian

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thank you Brian. You answered all of my follow-up questions with that but I am still wondering about the availability and option of any digging attachments.

I have come to the conclusion that I would have to find aftermarket options but is this tractor capable of utilizing any "bucket" attachments, front or rear, and are any available?

It seems its potential is limited only to the imagination and bank account.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,268 Posts

LOL ... imagination and bank account are often the limiting factors.

Some build front loaders for their 400 series ... I do not endorse it.

The 3 point can handle a common dirt scoop rather nicely. Also handles small box graders. A 1 bottom plow is a quite capable digging tool ... I've planted 3-4 foot root balls using primarily a 1 bottom plow. Trenched with it for setting in a stone landscape wall, etc.

There is also a small front 'bucket' of sorts, called a Johnny Bucket Jr. It is essentially a light duty 'front loader' that does not lift more than about 12 inches. Some members have them and love them ... quite a handy carry all.

AS for the front loader ... seek out a proper one in a 600 or 6000 series Case/Ingersoll. Another tool opportunity and once you have it, there will be an amazing quantity of jobs that just NEED to get done ... also available as a real digger, equipped with a D100 backhoe ...

Brian

·
Banned
12,618 Posts

`I don't think that there is much that I can add to Brian''s well thought out dissertation other than to perhaps clarify one point about hitches.

One either chooses the simple sleeve hitch for their tractor

OR......

they choose a 2 point hitch.

If you choose a sleeve hitch, then ONLY sleeve hitch attachments are available to you to use.

If you choose a three point hitch, then one uses CAT 0 3 PT hitch style attachments.

However..... if you purchase the F-27 Sleeve Hitch adaptor.... you can convert your three point so that it will also accept all of the sleeve hitch type attachments as well as the 3 pt hitch ones.

·
Registered
78 Posts

chrvasil said:
I have come to the conclusion that I would have to find aftermarket options but is this tractor capable of utilizing any "bucket" attachments, front or rear, and are any available?

It seems its potential is limited only to the imagination and bank account.
I had purchased a 446-81 with a sleeve hitch and a crude rear bucket cobbled together with metal and wood. The unit is a box about the width of the tractor and about a foot high and mounted to he sleeve hitch. The bucket is rather unattractive and I thought of just selling it but after getting tired of following a wheelbarrow one day I hooked it up and I tell you it is just about the handiest attachment I have. You can lower the bucket, back into a pile of topsoil, raise it and you can carry a small wheelbarrow of earth. Unloading sometimes requires a shovel but not always as the sleeve angles down at the lowest position. I found it much more useful to carry pumps, tools, pails of liquid fertilizer, whatever all over my acreage. Kind of a poor case owners version of a gator.
The only issue is if you put too much weight you need front counterweights (obviously).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I would definitely be interested in seeing what this looks like. If you ever get the chance to snap a photo and post it throw a rock in my direction to get my attention.

I like the "Johnny Bucket" bhildret mentioned in a response to me on this subject. After i saw it in action I was very impressed with it and have added it to my list of things to consider.

And the list just grows... and grows... :wife:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts

I believe that the JB will cost you more than two grand.

If you put a three-point hitch on your tractor, you could fabricate your own rear scoop. It could be set up as a "trip bucket" with a pull cord release or if you put a rear hydraulic PTO valve on the tractor, you could control the rear scoop with a small hydraulic cylinder.

First you make a design on paper and then you make a prototype out of plywood and dimensional spruce lumber. When you are happy with the way it operates, then you convert the final prototype to steel. A rear scoop will pick up more weight than a JB will and you won't have steering issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Interesting prospect.
I would have never guessed that much for the JB.
Hell, I don't have that much into everything I have already purchased (including the tractor of course).
I still won't have that into it when I procure the 3point I am shopping out currently!

Lets see, a 55 gallon drum cut in half... no, cut just 1/3! Some steel plates, bar stock, flat stock. Bolts... Yep, I need some paper!

Added to the list of winter projects. :letitsnow:

·
Registered
579 Posts

Couple years ago I picked up a Honda GT. It came with a JRCO Scoop Tote. I didn't know what it was until I drove to pick the unit up. The seller explained about scooping and hauling dirt, which sounded interesting enough, but he said I would probably never take it off the tractor. Sounded odd at the time, but he was exactly right.

Here's why.

How often do you actually scoop and haul dirt? I know, it varies, some days a lot, most days not at all. And, I agree, if you do a lot of dirt/snow work, then a front mount Johnny Bucket unit wins.

But, year round, how often do you need to haul feed, hay, fertilizer, dog food, cat litter, fire wood, rocks, pavers, equipment, gas, chain saws, garden tools, water, pick up fallen limbs, drag those big trash/recycling cans to the curb…? For some, just about everyday. And that's where the rear mount bucket comes in.

It is like having a little trailer always with you. It only adds a couple feet to the length of the tractor, but buys you a lot of utility. Once you have it for a while, you don't know what you did without it. I have even rolled 10ft logs onto it and hauled them off.

The Scoop Tote also came with a larger, lighter weight pan that snapped into the scoop. It doubled the surface area. You can pile a tremendous volume of limbs and brush on it, secure with a bungee cord and haul away.
The unit uses a rope to dump. A couple dogs can be rotated to lock the bucket vertical (to spread mulch, loose dirt, etc.).

This is, hands down, the most useful attachment I have encountered to date.

When I bought me 6018 loader, I no longer needed the scoop. I passed the Honda (with scoop) on to a buddy, but reserved the right to repo the scoop in the future.

Bad news is the Scoop Tote is no longer manufactured
Johnny Bucket used to make a 3-point version of their unit, but I think it is discontinued as well.
These units pop up on Craigslist now and then.
Here is a Scoop Tote currently listed.
http://rmn.craigslist.org/grd/2454841686.html

·
Banned
12,618 Posts

Here's a link to a site that will sell you plans for a variety of items meant to work with a 3 point hitch.

http://www.cadplans.com/3pointhitch.htm#107

It is up to YOU to assess the viability of the items offered. Contacting the seller of the plans and asking for telephone numbers that will allow you to speak with persons who have bought plans for whatever you are interested in building, should give you some unbiased feedback about how well the item performed. A set of forks for a three point, could be quite a valuable item to have but..........just like many of the items on offer, you will have to add a hefty FRONT-mounted counterweight that can be easily installed on the tractor and can have the amount of weight easily adjusted.

The addition of poor man's power steering along with Tri-Rib front tires inflated to 14 PSI or more will help with steering issues for those who do not have power steering.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

bhildret said:
AS for the front loader ... seek out a proper one in a 600 or 6000 series Case/Ingersoll. Another tool opportunity and once you have it, there will be an amazing quantity of jobs that just NEED to get done ... also available as a real digger, equipped with a D100 backhoe ...

Brian
Do you think the Woods or the Davis backhoe is better?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.