Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1972 646, 1971 222, 1956 300 CK Skip
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a '74 646 with a rototiller, j46 mower deck, and weight box for $1500 yesterday. The 646 is repowered with a Honda GX620, but I have the rebuilt onan sitting by (they had governer issues). The 646 has a case 3pt hitch and an aux hydraulic PTO on the rear. With the repower I lost the clutch PTO, bottom hydraulic lift, and a headlight. I have a rebuilt 222 with snowblower and mower deck so I'm not so concerned about the 646 mower deck and hydraulic lift.

Thoughts on just selling the hydraulic lift and mower deck? I'll prob keep the 646 forever (with the 222) and with the 3 pt I don't need to lift a sleeve hitch. I need new front tires, can I mount wider tires than the 5.7-8's on the original rims?

Worth just keeping the Honda motor in there or get the Onan back in there? I need t figure out an exhaust situation for the Honda.
I'll probably hold on to the Onan, someday putting it back in.

·
1,861 Posts
Nice haul. IMO you got a bargain. When I get home I'm send you some.PM private message with links to 646 repairs.

I love my Onan especially with a new short block in it. It looks like they modified the frame and removed the front engine mount brackets. I'd that's in the pile of parts great. If not fabbing up replacements will take a minute.

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
Rumor has it, that putting wider tires on the front makes it harder to steer with a load in the bucket.

Sweet deal by the way (y)

Cheers,
Gordy

·
1,861 Posts
I WAS WRONG ABOUT THE ENGINE MOUNTS. I could not see the photo on my phone well. the front mount in 4th photo is there. Its NOT missing. So putting the onan should be easier.

again, sending you PM with list of posts, Lionels Posts on restoring a 646 and a 648 are EXCELLENT photo documentats on how the tractors go together..

It looks like they modified the frame and removed the front engine mount brackets. I'd that's in the pile of parts great. If not fabbing up replacements will take a minute.

·
1,861 Posts
Sorry, I have to tweak my good buddy Gordy...

Wide tires are, of course, not an issue if your 646 has power steering: Wider front tires on 646 - 648 tires on 646

But before P/S steering the tractor with a load on the front, even with 4 inch tires was hard.

Rumor has it, that putting wider tires on the front makes it harder to steer with a load in the bucket.

Sweet deal by the way (y)

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,239 Posts
45Cole IMHO you got a great deal. Most of the time using the tractor for the FEL you won't need much rpm, mostly if you use the rototiller. I would like to see some more pics of the Honda conversion that was done on the 646. The exhaust facing the battery and operator is always an issue. Yes wider tires on the FEL does make the steering harder with a heavy load in the bucket. I put tri ribs on mine and so far have had no problem with the steering.

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Registered
1972 646, 1971 222, 1956 300 CK Skip
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies, I would like to find tri ribs and it sounds like I'll sitch with the 8.7's. In my skip loader the tri ribs skid on the ice/snow but can't have it all. It sounds like sticking with the Honda is a good idea, keeping the Onan around for a trade or maybe ??
What's the consensus on the missing hydraulic belly lift, I'd think no need for it if I'm not planning on mowing and it has a 3pt hitch?

I'll get more pics of the repower, the guy said the exhaust was a problem, I may try for mini muffllers or something.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the mid lift. You've got a mowing tractor already. Mowing with a loader would be a last resort for me.
Front PTO isn't useful for anything if you're not mowing, so no loss. (that not to say you couldn't use that for something, but it isn't needed. The mid lift hydraulic circuit could be rerouted out to the boom if you wanted to add a brush grab to the bucket.

I don't think I'd put the Onan back in if the Honda is not causing issues. I love my Onans, but I see no need to make extra work if the machine does what you want it to.

Congrats on that deal. You're not far off stealing that...

·
Administrator
7,983 Posts
(y) I would have no worries with putting to rest the hydraulic lift and ability to mow. I took mine off my 646.I would see how you like the stock tires first, I have had no complaints with mine and they do take the weight in stride when you fill that bucket. As stated I would pay attention to the heat under the hood with the mod and make changes as necessary. Nice buy and good luck with it. 3 point rear PTO and tiller are some nice bonuses at that price!!! Rich

1 - 11 of 11 Posts