Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old man has been looking for a bigger machine, we generally are Wheel Horse guys, so we set out to find a WH520 or JD 316, 425, 455, something along those lines, nothing clean had come up. Browsing CL, I saw a package offered w/ no pictures, we called the guy up he was 10 minutes from my house. What my father ended up with was a Ingersoll 4020 w/ pwr steering, 48" deck, 48" snow blower, hyvac cart, 3 point hitch (not installed brand new), chipper/shredder, chains, case plow and a case tiller. The old man who owned it traded his 446 on it in 1997, he just had new rear ags put on, a new pto clutch, and had every service record for its 500 hours, he had the oil and hydro fluid, all filters and plugs changed every april @ the cost of $350...WOW....he had all the books, but is ready to move to florida. We had to rent a uhual, because this stuff is bulky and the 5x8 would not handle it. It is wicked fast as well. I think my father paid a fair price, not a steal, but not a rip off, as he plans to keep this one, the only thing we have to do is figure why the lights won't work. The tiller and chipper are for sale, as he has no use for them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$3500, but just having all service records and a machine cared for is worth the premium. In NY/NJ which is where we are, they are generally going for around 3200 with a deck and a blower or plow

·
Banned
38 Posts
That package is worth every penny, having it's history makes it worth more than that in my opinion. What a way to join the family, all you are missing is a hardcab and you'd have just about everything. Very Smart Investment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bill.H said:
Welcome! Nice machine, he'll love it.
truckin88 said:
the only thing we have to do is figure why the lights won't work.
First thing: Trace the wire from the headlights back, I'll bet it's cut or broken.
Are the tails, tail lights or reflectors it was late and I was beat. I was figuring since nothing was going on a fuse, but if they are only reflectors, then makes sense, or it could even be both. Will do this. Thanks!

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,268 Posts
truckin88 said:
Are the tails, tail lights or reflectors it was late and I was beat. I was figuring since nothing was going on a fuse, but if they are only reflectors, then makes sense, or it could even be both. Will do this. Thanks!
The tails may be lit (later production) or just reflectors (up through around '95 or so). Simply tuck your hand up behind it and will become instantly obvious. The grounding to the headlights is iffy as produced ... often the simple source of headlights that don't operate.

Brian

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Welcome to the group.

Congratulations on your excellent purchase.

On this site, we have a Technical Library that hosts many of the manuals that were issued by Colt, Case and Ingersoll. Please take some time and check this area out. To assist you with your immediate needs, here is a link that will take you to the section where you can find the Parts Manual for your tractor.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=802

Inside the manual, you will find a wiring pictorial that displays all of the various pieces that make up the electrical system and it also shows how all of these items are connected.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gents,

What is fair market value of that chipper and tiller, I can't gauge them, nothing completed on ebay, or on any forum. Currently I have the tiller lsited at $600 and the Chipper $700. Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Case never made an OEM 3 pt tiller for the garden tractors. All Case tillers left the factory as a Sleeve Hitch model. Owners who opted to buy the three point hitch had to purchase the optional F-27 Sleeve Hitch Adapter that allowed the tiller to mount to the 3 pt. If someone has welded the F-27 to the tiller, then in my eyes, that would not be a plus. However, the use of a grinder could probably take care of the issue.

When I comment on ads posted in the Classifieds section, I normally value a F-27 at $150.00. I value a tiller at $400.00. Those valuations are based on the items being in a good state of repair and ready to work. If those two items are welded together, then in my eyes the valuation drops because you can only sell the tiller to someone with a 3 pt and there are far more owners with Sleeve Hitches. Secondly, the F-27 is now useless as an attachment to allow the mounting of a huge array of sleeve hitch style attachments. Disc harrows, turning ploughs, spring-tooth harrows, seeders, spreaders, tool bars etc are all available in sleeve hitch style.

As for the chipper/shredder, I think that your asking price is fair. In recent months we have seen a member buy one of those for $200.00 that looked almost brand new but we have also seen nearly new ones bring $1200.00. This is why I suggested that you do your own searching in the Classified ads forum and then set your prices where you think they should be. The Classifieds section is a learning tool and a reference tool on this site. It is not really there to help Sellers find Buyers but that has happened many times as you will see if you look in the Tractor Cupid thread.

I think that you made an excellent buy with this package and I fully understand the reasoning behind trying to recover as much of your initial outlay as possible by selling off items you feel won't be of use to you. That is the smart way to go about things. Good luck with your sales.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The tiller is a sleeve hitch type attachment. The three point on it is the sleeve hitch adapter for using the sleeve implements on your three point. You will want to keep the triangle piece (which is the sleeve hitch adapter) for your tractor for use later with other sleeve hitch implements.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.