Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm Tom. I recently bought some land, and am looking for a small tractor/loader. In my research, I was really drawn to the Case 646, which brought me here.

I need to move a bit of dirt around, put down some gravel for a driveway, then maintain and plow the driveway. I also need to clear and level a space for the garage. I think the 646 might be a bit undersized for the initial work, but it looks great for the long-term maintenance, and I don't mind spending a bit of extra time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Welcome to the group Tom. A 646 is a great investment in the long term. Great machine to have all around. I have done a lot of dirt work with my CCI tractors. Don't hestate to post if you find a machine in mind for some feedback. Once you get your machine there is a lot of experience here runnng these tractors to get advice/help. Rich

·
'68 - Case 155, '73 - 646a
2,020 Posts
Tom, Welcome to the forum. I'm going to send you a Private message with a list of Loader (644, 646, 6480 specific posts. Including a list of things to look for and check out when you find a 646..

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,613 Posts
Welcome to the CCI forum Tom. I'm sure you'll like it here with dealers, manuals and many friendly knowledgeable members. Your correct that a 646 might be a little small for the initial work on your project. The 646 has only a 1/4 yard bucket and it takes many trips back and forth to move a big pile. All I can recommend is to have money in hand when they come up for sale which in my area is not to often. I hope you enjoy the site!

Keep the Peace ✌
Harry

·
Administrator
2,895 Posts
Welcome

Tips for newcomers...

Please go to your member profile and list your location. This helps when you want to price, sell, or buy something.

Detailed instructions can be found here --> https://casecoltingersoll.com/showthread.php/89291-How-to-add-location-to-your-profile

Please resist the temptation to 'Look with your mouth'. 👍
The search box is on the TOP of every page.

Please take the time to at least scan the titles of the Frequently Asked Questions before you ask one of them.

Visit the technical library and see what a wide range type of information is available there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome and all the advice.

I spoke with a neighbor today, and he offered me his Ford 9n for $800. I think I'm going to buy it, although I still really want a little Case loader, too. I trust owning an excessive number of tractors isn't frowned upon here.

How do people ship these? I'd love to get something like this 648, but undersized vehicle plus pallet of accessories seems like it would be an odd combination for most shippers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome aboard Tom!!! Great to have you here.
That 648 is a nice looking tractor with some TLC and nice attachments. Definitely would be a good deal in my opinion.
Please keep us updated on your progress.

Enjoy the site
Capt Dan

·
Registered
1993 Ingersoll 4118, 1984 Case 448
263 Posts
Welcome Tom, I would say that 648 would be worth looking at. Good looking tractor, fair price, nice bunch of attachments, and has had some care.
There are small scale shippers out there, sometimes called "Hotshots" they run smaller trucks or pickups with trailers. May be pricey. If you were going to buy it without looking at it, they would pick it up and bring it to you.
My thought would be you are going to want to look at this, rent a U-Haul.

·
Registered
Case 648, Case 646 BH
72 Posts
I have a 648 and a 646 Backhoe. You'll like the power steering of the 648 machine, although not having it isn't an overall deal breaker. Also keep your eyes open for a later model 6018, 6020, or 7020 as well. Same size machine but newer models.

I traveled 10 hours (round trip) for my 646 BH. It was a basketcase, actually they both were. The 648 had been outside for years AFTER it burnt in a fire. They both underwent complete overhauls/restorations. The process for my 646 is documented in this forum. (New Project: 646 With Davis BH)

I rented a Uhaul for the move. It was about 100.00 for a two day rental.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The D100 is the backhoe that's made for these, right? I see several D100s listed on Facebook, but they're listed as being for skid steers. Are these different from the units intended for the 64x loaders?

More broadly, I'm wondering how practical it is to buy a 64x with nothing but weights on the back, and add an backhoe attachment later.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts