Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
I just registered as a new member here and am currently looking at a Case 446 as my introduction to the world of compact tractors. I am new to tractors in general and am good with tools and mechanical tasks although I am a beginner as far as working on engines/motors. I plan to use the 446 to cut a 5 acre weed/hay field 2-3 times per season. I just looked at my very first Case 400 series (the 446), rode it and performed some cutting during the test ride. I believe the tractor is from the early 1980s. The tractor performed a cold start just fine with just an initial short-lived (couple of seconds) amount of blue-grey smoke. The engine ran OK for the 15 minutes that I tested it although there was one backfire a few minutes after starting. The hydraulics for the mowing deck worked fine.

A few issues do exist: 1- the mower engagement lever (clutch) would vibrate back into the non-engaged position occasionally. 2- The tractor drive lever was sensitive and sometimes would not allow the tractor to start if the position was not in the sweet spot. 3- The exhaust/mufflers have been routed upwards and the fumes are right at nose level. 4- oil residue on the right side of the engine. The owner said that the tractor burns perhaps a pint per mowing season but that there are no drips when the tractor is sitting. Issue #4 is my biggest concern. The tractor comes with a snow caster, chains and wheel weights.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Wheel Tire Tractor Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
64 Posts
wildfarms,

Welcome to the club!

Okay from what I see and read.
No. 1 the clutch likely needs to be adjusted, can't rule out possibility of worn parts.
No. 2 The neutral start switch may be worn, some of my GT's are pretty selective about travel lever being dead center.
No.3 The exhaust system has been altered, no issue if you don't mind it. Might want to add an extension pipe to vent a foot or so higher, it should have a brace to limit vibration.
No. 4 Looks like oil on the deck more than likely from hydraulic return hose or loose clamp, a bit of a pain to change, but all fluids should be changed after buying a used GT so you know what you have.

A half pint during a mowing season is little oil, but remember the owner wants to sell, so buyer beware.
I would do a compression check, its the most important test where the engine is concerned!
Overall it looks to be in fair shape for it's age, as far as value, I would discount it a bit due to modified exhaust and clutch requiring attention.
In our area with the issues I see it looks like a $700-$750.00 value, it will take some work and money to bring it into good working order.
If compression is good more work than $$$, but you will likely find issues you are unaware of when buying.
If snowcaster is in good shape and it had cast iron weights might add $150.00-200.00.
Thanks for joining, and good luck!

Jim

·
Super Moderator
3,554 Posts
Welcome aboard wildfarms!! Great to have you here. There are a lot of tractors available in your state by some of the members here. May want to look around for a while since I believe you won't be doing any mowing till next spring. Jim sure knows what he's talking about and has given you some great advice. Good luck in your hunt and enjoy the site.

Capt Dan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you gentlemen for the warm welcome and the advice. I will dig deeper into Jim's suggestions before diving in. I may also look at another 446 this weekend for comparison. Both tractors are in the $1000 range.
Many Thx - Jim G.

·
Administrator
2,813 Posts
Reactions: wildfarms

·
Registered
135 Posts
Welcome Jim G. :wave:

Looks like the guys have you lined up on what to check when tractor shopping. I picked up a 1973 446 this summer and it had some of the same issues you mention. None of mine were a deal killer but I know I'll need to address them as I have shop time.

Look around, talk to the guys here on the forum. Get some face time with some members if possible. You'll find the tractor that you need and (in your area)you'll find some tractor friends that have the skills to help you on repairs you can't do yourself. In the end, you'll have something that will serve you a loooong time.

Larry

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
wildfarms :+1:
I agree with everything JFK said, but on the wheel weights if there cast ones there should be 4 of them :thumbup:
and they bring $400. dollars most of the time
More then likely the ones for this tractor are the plastic and cement ones there's one per side maybe 60lb
they go for around $100. to $130 a set on a good day.
You should look around for the tractor you need, you live in a great state for Case and Ingersoll tractors.:ugeek:
There always a few on C/L Yow might find a newer one for a little more cash. :mowlawn:
Hope you like our group of members were all here to help. :mechanic:
Enjoy your time here and thanks for joining CCI. :thumbup:
bigman :thumbup:

·
Administrator
7,992 Posts
Welcome, you got some great advice from Jim and other members. I wouldn't jump into it, play the field look around, you are in Michigan and I think there are usually some good opportunities there. Follow the Forum and learn more and as you do and you may come across some opportunities through the Classifieds. Sometimes we see GTs that have been garage kept all their life and have seen little use. And of course the big factor is how they were treated by their owner. Rich

·
Registered
64 Posts
wildfarms

On closer inspection of the pictures on CL, I find it has a newer Onan P216.
I find it strange it has no oil filter, and is missing the blower it air cleaner housing tube, that would cause massive cooling loss.:sad:
Also exhaust pipes are older 1970's style clamp on threaded pipe that screw into block, no brace to limit vibration.
I appears to have the B series oil dipstick, so it is a repower.
I can't say what the engine came off, but the choice of not using a oil filter is unusual!:think:
Seat is trashed, and I'm pretty sure the oil on the deck is from a return line.
The blower looks good, no pictures of the wheel weights.
I hope this information is helpful!

Thanks
Jim:wave:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you gents for the encouragement and suggestions. Thank you also to jfk for diving deeper into the photos. The wheel weights were the plastic concrete version by the way. I also forgot to mention that the steering on this one was very loose. The mowing deck seemed in pretty good shape and the blades were secure ... but I have decided to pass on this 446. The second one I looked at is now at its new home in my garage(!). I wasn't in a hurry to buy a small tractor but the 446 I picked up runs well, drives well and was serviced by a professional tractor mechanic. It also has the rear hydraulic PTO, J-46 mower deck, snow caster, cast iron wheel weights and chains. The clutch levers and drive lever assemblies are responsive and snug fitting and the steering solid. I am taking off the mowing deck later today to clean it up for winter storage but I plan to use the snow caster soon (winter has to hit Michigan one of these days). I plan to change the oil to winter temperature grade soon. I have downloaded all of the owner's manuals and I will be researching your fine forum for my Case 400 series education. Hopefully some day I'll be able to contribute to the forum ... but for now 'I am all ears'. ..::Jim G.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
IMHO, I'm betting this is just an air cleaner installed on a Non "P" series engine. Look at the spark plug locations. Also note the dipstick in the picture. That's not a P stick...

Congrats on making a BETTER choice!

Ray W

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ray

It has a Nikki carb, fuel pump on cover flywheel, it has a B pan and heads. :think: I would bet it's part of both a P and B, but by pictures there is no telling what PO has done.

JimG, Congratulations it sounds like you made the right choice!:thumbup:
Please post pictures if you get the chance.:gums:

Thanks
Jim:wave:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Jim G I agree it sounds like you made the better choice. It won't take you long to become addicted to that 446, I know it only took me a few days for my 73 model 446 to become my "go to" tractor of choice for most everything beyond mowing chores( and I have way too many tractors to choose from.... 4-5 runners right now). Enjoy that new 446 and fire away with the questions....this group has the tips and tricks to help you get the most out of the old gal!

Oh yeah........ Pictures man....pictures!!!

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
Jim
I like how your wife thinks, she's a keeper for sure. :thumbup:
Set her up with a nice tractor, you never turn down a good idea. :thumbup:

bigman :thumbsup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Jim G

Thanks for sharing your picture.:thumbup: