Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Case 648
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Also did some work on the hydraulic cylinders. The lift cylinders came apart easily, replaced all the seals, I’m currently waiting for a nice day to paint the cylinders before I install the pistons again.

The dump cylinder was a chore until I realized I could push the top down past the retaining ring to easily remove it. (Take note and learn from my mistake there, I wasted waaaay to much time struggling with getting the spring clip out prior to pushing it down and easily removing it.)

There was a little bit of pitting on the piston, I did my best to polish it out, there isn’t any rough edges now so the seals should survive!

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
The dump cylinder was a chore until I realized I could push the top down past the retaining ring to easily remove it. (Take note and learn from my mistake there, I wasted waaaay to much time struggling with getting the spring clip out prior to pushing it down and easily removing it.)
If you're real careful you can even use the cylinder itself to push that in if it's stuck by propping something between the gland and the end of the rod and retracting the cylinder CAREFULLY to push on it. I'm not sure how it works because in my head the piston and the gland have the same surface area and the cylinder would basically not exert any force, but i did it and it moved it a bit. Not my first choice but if it comes to swinging a hammer to get it moving it starts looking like a less bad option. Just have to be careful to avoid damaging the rod, whichever way one goes.
Nice work. (y)

·
Registered
Case 648
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I’m using a single stage enamel paint. As far as methods, nothing out of the ordinary. Just like anything else, prep is key.

I sandblast to bare metal, apply a primer (red oxide primer) then scuff and paint. I believe both are Majic brand (tractor supply co). I’ve read a lot of people knock it but if applied with hardener and mixed according to manufacturers instructions I’ve had no issues using that line of product.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Also did some work on the hydraulic cylinders. The lift cylinders came apart easily, replaced all the seals, I’m currently waiting for a nice day to paint the cylinders before I install the pistons again.

There was a little bit of pitting on the piston, I did my best to polish it out, there isn’t any rough edges now so the seals should survive!
Village idiot here, I'm at the disassemble stage of a bucket cylinder. Above are you saying to push the spring clip down before trying to remove?

caveboy

Amber Gas Cylinder Metal Event

·
Registered
101 Posts
Village idiot here. I got the top spring clip and the spacer out in about two minutes. Now I'm about 1-1/2 hours into the second clip with no surrender in site. What am I missing? any help is greatly appreciated.

Automotive tire Amber Yellow Wood Serveware

caveboy

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,578 Posts
If you can push the gland back into the cylinder so the spiral is more exposed it is easier to get out. I just did one two weeks ago. I used an ice pick to get under the end of the spiral. Then I put a small straight blade screw driver behind the spiral to lift it out. It just takes persistence and a few cuss words to get the job done.

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Registered
Case 648
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Village idiot here. I got the top spring clip and the spacer out in about two minutes. Now I'm about 1-1/2 hours into the second clip with no surrender in site. What am I missing? any help is greatly appreciated.

View attachment 125738

caveboy
Push this (marked with “x”) down into cylinder. Then easily remove second clip.

Amber Orange Automotive tire Wood Ingredient

·
Registered
101 Posts
One more quick question, and please remember I am from the school of, don't force it, get a bigger hammer. I'm thinking that a bigger hammer is in order.

Many thanks gentleman.

peace to all
caveboy

Harry, I got some special cuss words I've been saving for just such an occasion. You know the ones you only use when you got company.

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,578 Posts
Caveboy, I would not try driving the gland back into the cylinder with a steel hammer or drift. I would try a piece of hardwood doweling or a brass drift, otherwise your going to mark up the gland. Move the dowel around to different areas of the gland as you hit it the dowel with a hammer. If you had a hydraulic press you could always go that route to get an even pressure as it gets pressed into the cylinder.

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks, RK & Harry. I studied about this all night. I thought of trying to use a bottle jack to approximate a press in conjunction with the beam that runs through the center of my garage. As with my cuss words I have a collection of wooden blocks used only when company comes. I think this warrant breaking them out.

You folks are amazing. Thanks so much.

peace to all
caveboy

·
Registered
Case 648
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Engine installed along with a replacement hydraulic pump. Not much clearance on the pump, but there’s clearance! Constructed a new wiring harness and installed, most of the under hood tins installed. Only a little more soft piping left!

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
Case 648
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I was almost done when I learned one of the rams had an ever so slight bend to it. …needless to say I sent it and had to disassemble the backhoe portion of the machine as well.

Wood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Machine

Motor vehicle Wood Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Window Automotive exterior

Musical instrument Wind instrument Garden tool Tool Grass

Plant Wood Musical instrument Air gun Shotgun

Plant Wood Grass Gun barrel Trigger

Plant Wood Grass Grassland Grass family

Plant Vehicle Tree Wood Bulldozer

Plant Bicycle tire Tree Bicycle fork Wood

Bicycle part Gas Auto part Nickel Pipe

21 - 40 of 51 Posts