Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,609 Posts
Looks to me like your doing a terrific job on the paint Mr. Hargraves. Is that Case paint your spraying?

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Registered
Case 648, Case 646 BH
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
So I ended up replacing the hydraulic pump. I went with a pump from Grainger. Item #4F667. It was a direct bolt on swap (unsure if stock lovejoy would work as mine wasn’t stock). Works great, very happy with it.

The only problem now is it seems to be running real rich all of a sudden. I have a feeling my float no longer floats. I’ll have to break it apart and see.

·
Administrator
6,499 Posts
Well, beyond the running rich issue,,
The work you're doing at getting your 646 backhoe back to looking new is awesome. I certainly have an appreciation of what it's like to paint some of those items that are cumbersome and incredibly heavy to manipulate into getting things painted. Well done!

·
Administrator
2,609 Posts
RK are you using Case paint on your tractor? It looks great what ever your using.

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Registered
Case 648, Case 646 BH
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I'm not. Actually i'm using the Magic Paints Case Power Yellow. Even with everyone crapping all over their product line in the forums I've found that as long as the machine is prepped correctly and the paint is mixed per instruction (using the hardener) it works great and holds up well.

I painted my last machine (648) with two paint products as I ran out of the first and couldn't find anymore of it when I was almost done. The hood was done with Magic paints and the rest was done with another manufacturer (Tallmans? maybe). The hood is still bright and shiny whereas the rest of the tractor has faded a little. At the end of the day I just wanted a good starting point and the metal to be protected, it's an added bonus that it looks good :LOL:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Where the heck did you find a frame and one in such great condition to boot? I thought mine might be salvageable, but the more I look, it’s going to require too much work and fabrication.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Looks great! Lots of respect for dealing with the extra cylinders, plumbing and rigging of the backhoe. My CCK was running way rich at first and the float adjustment seemed to help. The rubber float has a fairly large gap specified in comparison to what you might be used to seeing for metal floats.

·
Registered
Case 648, Case 646 BH
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Update on the tractor. I had two problems working at the same time causing the issues with it running. I had a piece of contamination preventing the needle valve from closing flooding out the carburetor AND I had an ignition issue causing misfires at higher RPMs. I installed an onan electronic ignition conversion, new plugs, wires, and coil and she's running great and been very reliable since then.

·
Premium Member
79 case 448
59 Posts
Can you share where you sourced the ignition parts from? I'm interested in doing a similar conversion at some point. I've checked out the kirk engines offerings but not anything else yet.

·
Registered
Case 648, Case 646 BH
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I was also looking at Kirk’s kits but then I remembered I had a module in my toolbox that I hadn’t installed in my other machine yet. Missouri power products or something like that? It’s been over a year since I ordered it I don’t remember specifically?

·
Administrator
2,609 Posts
That sure is a SWEET pair of tractors. :love: You should feel very lucky of getting them sorted out and ready for action! ;)

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Registered
Case 648, Case 646 BH
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Where the heck did you find a frame and one in such great condition to boot? I thought mine might be salvageable, but the more I look, it’s going to require too much work and fabrication.
I got it from Don Pressing out of upper state NY. I was surprised to find one as easily as I did as well. I posted to a facebook group and boom had one lined up in minutes.

·
Registered
Case 648, Case 646 BH
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
That sure is a SWEET pair of tractors. :love: You should feel very lucky of getting them sorted out and ready for action! ;)

Keep the Peace
Harry
I think I need to do a banana plate and associated parts in the 648. I've questioned the pump for a while, but if i quickly stab the travel pedal it will seem to have more power. ...I don't think the valve is opening as much as it should be. Time to tighten up those linkages I guess.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nice work on that machine.

Now i've never seen one of these tractors in person but that pin that holds the seat in the up or down position looks a bit fussy if you have to hold the seat up with your other hand when changing to rear-facing. Have you considered welding a spring loaded pin to the tube? In my mind once you got the pin released from the current hole you could then use both hands to lift and spin the seat and when the pin found the next hole it would pop into position on its own.

·
Administrator
2,609 Posts
Vigo that's a great idea. I've had to wrestle with mine a few times, even when you want to gas it up. I think I can fab one up with material I have in my shop.

Keep the Peace ✌
Harry

41 - 60 of 60 Posts