Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

New Project: 646 With Davis BH

6K views 59 replies 12 participants last post by  Harry 
#1 ·
Moving along with my latest project, a Case 646 with backhoe. She’s getting a full restoration. The frame was shot so ended up with a donor frame from Don Pressing. Photos below. I’ll update as I progress with the project.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Wood Plant Window Grass Tree

Wheel Automotive tire Wood Orange Rim

Musical instrument Grass Wood Motor vehicle Tool

Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt

Wood Gas Tints and shades Font Metal

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Wheel

Vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wood Window Machine Engineering Grass

Light Gas Automotive tire Electric blue Automotive wheel system

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Gas Tints and shades

Wheel Tire Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle

See less See more
#11 ·
update on the project. Steering system has been rebuilt. I adapted the shaft to accept the standard MTD type wheels. It’s as simple as drilling and pinning the splined adapter from any MTD machine.

see photos below…

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Attachments

#20 ·
It’s been about a month since my last update so it’s time. I’ll do a few so bear with me.

First off I refreshed the Onan CCK. I was told by the previous owner that this motor was just recently rebuilt but I wanted to see for myself. He wasn’t lying! I could read the numbers in the bearings clear as day! No wear at all. The motor was tight and fresh. I honed and replaced the rings, lapped and installed the valves and adjusted.

I’m now slowly refreshing the appearance and assembling it.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior

Automotive design Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Engineering
Camera lens Reflex camera Digital camera Automotive design Computer keyboard

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Rim Mechanical fan

Automotive tire Wood Rim Bumper Automotive exterior

Attachments

#22 ·
Also did some work on the hydraulic cylinders. The lift cylinders came apart easily, replaced all the seals, I’m currently waiting for a nice day to paint the cylinders before I install the pistons again.

The dump cylinder was a chore until I realized I could push the top down past the retaining ring to easily remove it. (Take note and learn from my mistake there, I wasted waaaay to much time struggling with getting the spring clip out prior to pushing it down and easily removing it.)

There was a little bit of pitting on the piston, I did my best to polish it out, there isn’t any rough edges now so the seals should survive!

Attachments

#24 · (Edited)
The dump cylinder was a chore until I realized I could push the top down past the retaining ring to easily remove it. (Take note and learn from my mistake there, I wasted waaaay to much time struggling with getting the spring clip out prior to pushing it down and easily removing it.)
If you're real careful you can even use the cylinder itself to push that in if it's stuck by propping something between the gland and the end of the rod and retracting the cylinder CAREFULLY to push on it. I'm not sure how it works because in my head the piston and the gland have the same surface area and the cylinder would basically not exert any force, but i did it and it moved it a bit. Not my first choice but if it comes to swinging a hammer to get it moving it starts looking like a less bad option. Just have to be careful to avoid damaging the rod, whichever way one goes.
Nice work. (y)

#27 ·
I’m using a single stage enamel paint. As far as methods, nothing out of the ordinary. Just like anything else, prep is key.

I sandblast to bare metal, apply a primer (red oxide primer) then scuff and paint. I believe both are Majic brand (tractor supply co). I’ve read a lot of people knock it but if applied with hardener and mixed according to manufacturers instructions I’ve had no issues using that line of product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.