Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up another project tractor a mid year 1987 444. This is the 25th Anniversary model. Once I got it home I realized it was pretty different than the other 400 series that I have. The hood is like a 4000 series but it isn't It had the plastic "eyebrows" and the removable center grille section, have you guys ever seen one? See the attached pics. ALSO it has the plastic dash cap Part # 30134 I need this piece so hopefully one of you awesome dealers has one laying around. The engine runs kinda ok, so I may leave it alone for now, but it does not move, so either the pump or motor is shot.. Time to do some investigating!

Let me kn0
Gas Cylinder Fixture Motor vehicle Machine
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

w what you have

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,231 Posts
The C30134 cap is long obsolete. Maybe a new will turn up, but more likely a good used.

The hood looks like a 4014 Kohler hood. Or maybe someone just hacked up the 444 hood? Does if have the mounting holes for the 3000/4000 removable grille? Or was it cut out?

Brian

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brian, the air cleaner and exhaust cut outs are correct for the 400 series, plus it has the correct mounting holes for the removable grille. (I have a 4014. so I know what that hood looks like) This tractor also has the integrated holding valve TCV, which I originally thought did not come out until the 4000's

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I figured it was obsolete, but between all the excellent vendors on here I hoped there may be one of these gathering dust on a shelf somewhere!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Interesting ... can't say as I've ever seen a hood quite like that.

I have a couple of 448's in that year range (an 87 with the anniversary decals, and an 88). They both have the non-removable grille that's stamped as part of the hood like other 400 series.

Mine both have the integrated holding valve TCV's ... seems like I remember reading that they started installing those sometime around 85 or 86.

How bad is your plastic dash cap? Both of mine were cracked at the upper corners and one had a little chunk missing. I was able to repair that damage using some JB Weld black "Plastic Bonder" adhesive. Some of the lettering is also a bit faded / worn, but I haven't tried anything to restore that.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
1,449 Posts
Brian, the air cleaner and exhaust cut outs are correct for the 400 series, plus it has the correct mounting holes for the removable grille. (I have a 4014. so I know what that hood looks like) This tractor also has the integrated holding valve TCV, which I originally thought did not come out until the 4000's
Dave,

The monoblock control valve came out with the 1986 production tractors so the 3 digit models had them for 3 years before the 3000/4000 series tractors came out.

Bob

·
Administrator
3,236 Posts
Hi Dave,
That is a 444 hood that the grill was cut out. A 4014 hood would have the exhaust hole on the R/H side and no cutouts for the air filter which is on the L/H side of a 4014.:cool:

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Dave,
That is a 444 hood that the grill was cut out. A 4014 hood would have the exhaust hole on the R/H side and no cutouts for the air filter which is on the L/H side of a 4014.:cool:
Bob, I beg to differ.......... That is not a cut out, there are too many similarities with the 4000 series hood, plus there is no evidence of any cutting. The bottom of the grille area is straight, not bent back like on a cut out. The edges are all nice and not sharp like they would be on a cut out. I agree on the 4014 hood as I have one of them, (Everything is flipped on that hood). its sitting right behind this 444 in the picture (Hood open with weight kit on the front) I am as confused as all of you on this, but I am going to get this hood straightened out and put back on right when I restore it in a few years... too many other projects in the pipeline.

Dave

·
Registered
593 Posts
Bob, I beg to differ.......... That is not a cut out, there are too many similarities with the 4000 series hood, plus there is no evidence of any cutting. The bottom of the grille area is straight, not bent back like on a cut out. The edges are all nice and not sharp like they would be on a cut out. I agree on the 4014 hood as I have one of them, (Everything is flipped on that hood). its sitting right behind this 444 in the picture (Hood open with weight kit on the front) I am as confused as all of you on this, but I am going to get this hood straightened out and put back on right when I restore it in a few years... too many other projects in the pipeline.

Dave
Hi Dave,

I wonder if that might possibly be a factory service replacement hood. Say for example your tractor was involved in an accident that damaged the original hood beyond repair back in the 1990's and the owner bought a new replacement at the dealer. By then, Ingersoll might have retired/scrapped the tooling they used to stamp out the front section of the hood with the 200/400 style integrated grille. So they might have welded together service replacement hood assemblies that utilized the (then current production) front section with the 3000/4000 style grille opening.

Ray

·
Administrator
3,236 Posts
Hi Dave,
Hi Dave,
I was able to open the front hood pic in another tab and enlarge it for a closer look and it does look like a 3000-4000 series front! What I thought was rough cut sides is shadows from the sides.
Open the hood and take some pics of the inside.:cool:

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
424 Posts
That's some nice snow blowing! We had 12" of power snow, followed by a beautiful sunny day over the last couple days. It use to happen one or two times a year, now it happens once every two to three years; and I wasn't ready, my berco and tractor still need to be connected. Had to clear with walk behind. :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts