Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! I'm from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. For a vacation project (first two weeks of August) I repowered my 1974 Case 646 Compact Wheel Loader. I did a couple of weekends of hard landscaping at the lake and have now stripped a final drive gear (C 14644). This site looks great! I hope to figure out how to use the site to source parts and just to share many years of great experience with my 646.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about your gear problem. This is the first time I've heard of a gear stripping in the transaxle as the transaxle is thought to be pretty much bulletproof. I'm sure you can find a gear from any number of people who part out Case tractors including Joe's Outdoor Power in Michigan. It may be easier and cheaper to simply replace the entire transaxle and motor since those often sell for as little as $100. That said, shipping cost to your neck of the woods may be the biggest cost.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the rapid response. I found a gear at M&D Mower and Appliance in Ohio for $197 (plus shipping, border costs and tax I guess) but am waiting for a response to see if they ship to Canada. In the mean time I will try Joe's in Michigan.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
rrr said:
Thanks for the rapid response. I found a gear at M&D Mower and Appliance in Ohio for $197 (plus shipping, border costs and tax I guess) but am waiting for a response to see if they ship to Canada. In the mean time I will try Joe's in Michigan.
You might want to put a message in the want to buy section as there is a good chance someone on the forum will have what you need used and, if not, there are several dealers who frequent the site and can get a new part for you shipped to Canada.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Welcome, rrr.

Sorry to hear about your trans-axle difficulties.

A few things you should know.

1. M & W is not considered by this site to be "preferred source" of parts as they have been suspected of inflating the MSRP and giving slow service. Please check our FAQ's section for the listing of Ingersoll Dealers we know and trust.

2. You are in need of the Hi/Lo slider cluster-gear. This gear is not exclusive to your 600. All of the 200 and 400 hydraulic garden tractors use this same gear. If no one on this forum can help you, I would be surprised. Post a Wanted to Buy ad on our Bulletin Board further down the main page before you spend that kind of money for a new gear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a cluster gear for a 400 series Case/Ingersoll that will apparently fit my Case 646 at a good price on Joe's Outdoor Power site in Michigan. I looked through the FAQ section to see if they are a preferred vendor and was not able to find a list of preferred vendors. I would like to order the part as soon as possible if someone can tell me if ordering from Joe's is ok. I am new to forums in general and may just not know how to find the preferred vendors list. Thanks RRR

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,279 Posts
I think it is fair to say that members in general have had good experience with Joe's. Certainly I have had, with sourcing used parts there.

Some of their listing descriptions may be a little off or generous in the applications, so best to do your own research on cross references.

That C14644 gear was indeed pretty widely utilized ... so it is quite reasonable they have a gear out of a 400 that would fit your bill ...

Brian

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I've purchased a fair number of items from Joe over the years and have only had good experience.

Since it appears you will be tearing into your transaxle you should read through the tech section for information on replacing the bolts in the cluster gear and do that while it's apart then you'll probably never have another need to open it up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.